luctus chlosyne janais

chapter sixty six: luctus chlosyne janais

The following morning you wake up beside Suna and drag yourself over to the small, empty gift shop where, in the back, is a kitchen.

You shuffle around, gathering some of the products you bought at the store with Kenma. You hum to yourself, in a good mood from both having a good and long night with Suna and happy that today is finally the day you'll be getting on Iwa's plane.

You walk over to the freezer to grab some of the vegetables you and Kenma picked out, but notice that the freezer door is left open. You look around, thinking that perhaps someone else is around.

"Hello?" you call out as you look behind you. "Osamu? Noya? Alisa?"

After hearing no response, you take a deep breath and look back toward the freezer. You turn on the light and step inside. There, on the left side by the floor, is Kenma leaning up against the metal post.

"Shit, what the hell," you grumble to yourself as you race toward him and kneel on the ground. "What're you doing, Kenma? Wake the fuck up. You can't sleep in here. You'll-" you then suddenly stop upon touching him. He's freezing cold.

"Kenma?" you call out softer this time as you place your hands on his shoulder. As you slide down his arms, your left hand catches on the metal post beside him. You attempt to pry his arm off, but it's frozen stuck against it.

"Kenma, wake up. This isn't funny," you then begin to freak out as you shake his lifeless body. "Seriously, wake the fuck up!" you shout before striking him against the cheek. But still, he doesn't wake up.

When it finally hits you and the realization sinks in, you stop altogether and watch him. His mouth hangs open as his head leans back as though he was gazing up at the stars.

"Fuck, Kenma, what about all that corny shit you said about meant to make it out of here? You were so fucking close. You were meant to go," you begin to break down before him, burying your head in his chest and sobbing silently. "Don't leave me..."

About an hour later, you have a burial spot picked out for him. Your appetite is completely gone, no matter how much Suna attempts to soothe you. And as you watch Hinata, Oikawa, and Osamu dig a six-foot hole, all you can do is stand in silence. You hate how much you're mad that he's done this. You should be sad, not angry, but all you can do is be mad.

He was supposed to make it. He was supposed to live.

Once the deed is done and the hole is patched up with Kenma's body buried within, Hinata slowly walks up to you and places his hand on your shoulder. Finally, you lift up your head to look at him. And to your surprise, his eyes are equally as red as yours.

"Ya know, death can't kill what never dies. As long as we keep loving him, we won't be separated from him."

"We?" you begin to ask until you notice the tear stains down his cheeks. "I mean, your right. I heard once that sadness is letting go so I guess that's a good thing," you nod quietly.

"Yeah," he sniffs as he looks back at the recently patched-up hole. "I'm going inside. If you need me I'll be at gate 25 if you need me."

"Okay," you whisper just before watching him walk off. Maybe you should have been paying closer attention to a lot more people you're around. Oikawa then soon follows after, walking out with Suna, and leaving you alone with Osamu.

"What a journey we've been on," you huff as you walk toward him.

"What happened to you crying? Though you were sad," he says, calling you out right away.

"I love Kenma, but that doesn't mean I'm not pissed same as the other times. None of this would've happened if we were ditched here like fucking animals," you tell him.

"You can't blame everything on the fucking government, Y/N," he shakes his head.

"You're right. It was Bokuto's fault the other times. Maybe even this time, too. If Kuroo was still around then-"

"You can't say any of this for sure. Y/N you just said 'maybe'. Eventually you'll realize that we are where we are because of our own doing. We can't blame other people for the lives we make for ourselves. What he did is a result of his own choices. If you don't like it, then make your own choice. Mourn your friend, Y/N, then pick yourself up and lead your life the way you want to."

"I'm sorry," you shake your head. "It's just so easy to blame something for everything that happens."

"Yeah, well, you'll figure it all out. I'll leave you to it," he then nods just before he pats you on the shoulder and walks back inside the airport.

"Well shit," you curse to yourself once you're finally alone. "I wish I saw this coming, Kenma," you then sigh. You walk closer to the fresh patch of dirt for the first time and sit right beside it.

"You never really told me about you and Kuroo, like before the outage, but I can imagine the two of you. I bet you grew up together, probably sat next to each other in class. Did the science project together," you smile softly at the thought.

"You told me that you'd visit him often. That you even brought that porno without knowing it. I bet that wasn't the only time you did that," you chuckle to yourself. "I meant what I said the other day. It really was obvious how much he cared about you... Fuck, I hope you're with him right now."

You then spend some time outside until the sun is the highest in the sky and a harsh breeze makes you shiver. Realizing that it's time to go, you stand up and look back down at the burial spot.

"I wish I could bring you with me," you whisper to him. "Rest peacefully, Kenma."

Just then, you hear a door open nearby and you wipe your eyes. When you turn around, you see Suna walking up to you.

"What is it?" you ask as you wipe your nose with your sleeve.

"It's started. He got it off the ground. Let's go."