papilio canadensis

chapter thirty four: papilio canadensis

Y/N'S P.O.V.

As you get back to the entrance of the woods after your talk with Kenma, you look back once more. You then turn back to Kenma who had also been doing the same.

"How far do you think he's gotten?" he asks you.

"I dunno. It's been like an hour so... probably far," you shrug.

"Do you think we should have gone after him?" he then suggests. The two of you look at each other, pondering the correct answer to that question.

"He was pretty pissed. I don't think he wanted me to follow him, but-" you begin just before Kenma takes your hand and pulls you back into the woods.

"Screw this," he mumbles to himself as he pulls you through the forest. "He couldn't have gotten that far. He probably got distracted by food or fell asleep on a bench nearby."

"So that's it then?" you say aloud, though you're mostly speaking to yourself. "We're going to get him?"

"I can't just leave him out there by himself. He won't last a week," Kenma replies.

Once the two of you make it through to the other side of the forest, you step onto the road and stop. You look both ways, hoping you'll find Kuroo easily, but instead, you find nothing at all.

"Where to now?" you sigh.

"This way," Kenma calls you over as he walks off. "Come on!"

The two of you walk down the road a little ways until you come upon a building bursting in flames. "Holy shit," you mutter as you watch the whole thing light up. "You don't think..."

"Better not be," he shakes his head.

"What do we do?" you ask. "We can't just go in there."

"Then we wait," he says quietly.

"For?"

"It to die down. Once it does, we can go in," he explains to you.

"But if he's in there-"

"If he's in there," Kenma interrupts with his eyebrows knit together in anger, "then there's nothing we can do about it."

Despite Kenma's harsh words, you get as close to the building as you can and shout out Kuroo's name. However, through all the smoke and fire, you can't see, and the building collapsing makes it impossible to hear even if he was trying to call out.

Once the fire dies down, you and Kenma walk inside. It reeks horribly of burnt food, wood, and unmistakably flesh. The second you step foot into the store, your heart sinks down to the pit of your stomach.

You and Kenma split up and begin to check each of the aisles one by one. In each row, you find nothing, but as you turn to the next the harsh feeling in your stomach only grows stronger.

"Y/N!" Kenma then calls out. "You gotta c'mere!"

As you run towards him, nausea hits you like a semi-truck. Then, as you see Kenma kneeling before an odd-looking pile of ash, your head begins to spin.

"What is it?" you ask cautiously as you approach him from behind.

Kenma holds up a small black ring with something carved on the outside. You don't need to get too close to see what it is. Kuroo always wore it. Wordlessly, Kenma hands it over to you, and for the first time, you're able to read what was described.

No man knows the value of innocence and integrity but he who has lost them.

Your eyes begin to tear up when you read the simple quote. You're so confused as to why he'd end his life. He promised you he'd be here with you, keeping you safe, but you let him slip through your fingers and now he's gone for good.

"It wasn't just him," Kenma then explains to you, "Someone else was here, too, see," he points out as he shows you a woman's engagement ring lies just beside him. One you've never seen before in your life.

"He was here with an engaged woman?" you think aloud.

"Looks like it. I guess she wasn't too happy with the engagement," he shakes his head sadly.

"I wonder if they knew each other. Maybe they planned to meet up like this," you suggest.

"I doubt it. Kuroo spent all his time with us, anyway. What I think is that he knew something. I think he realized something that he couldn't bear to deal with and just walked away," Kenma tells you.

"You think he'd do that?" you ask.

"I'm not sure," he then shrugs. "Honestly, I admit I was a bit pissed each time I watched the two of them walk off together into the woods, but I'd never hurt Tsukishima or wish this upon either of them... But maybe Kuroo found out and, I dunno, had these feelings of hatred towards someone in our group. Maybe he wanted to leave before he did something he regretted."

"How are we even supposed to know?" you sigh as you look down at the two rings now side by side. "I can hardly even begin to process that we've lost Kuroo now, too."

"It's a damn shame," another voice chimes in from behind you. "Ya know, the two of you are pretty fuckin' loud. You're drawing way too much attention to yourselves, you should be more careful. You did just walk into a building that was lit on fire a few minutes ago. Did you really think you'd be the only ones to see that shit?"

When you stand up and turn around, you see a man behind you that you've never seen. Despite his attitude, he is quite handsome with his tall frame and gorgeous hair. Seriously, he looks like he just walked out of the hair salon.

"Who the fuck are-"

"Oh shut up. Just give me everything you have on you and we can move on with our lives. Don't make this a whole thing, 'kay?"