osculum est mortis

chapter nineteen: osculum est mortis

The next morning when you wake up you feel absolutely horrendous. You sit up from your spot just below the bed, but when you place your hands on the ground, your palms begin to burn. You quickly pick them up and see the top layer of your skin peeling off. Small drips of blood begin to slide down and your heart rate kicks up. This is not good. Now you've got the strange epidermolysis bullosa-like virus, too.

You stand up and quickly bolt across the bus, careful not to wake up either Atsumu or Osamu sleeping in the room. You rush down the steps of the bus, ignoring the burning sensation that has traveled down to the bottoms of your feet.

Outside, you see Tsukishima biting into one of the small apples he picked from the tree not too far away. You have half a mind to run up to him and throw your arms around him, but you know better. You don't want to get anyone else affected like you are. However, Tsukishima isn't completely clueless. He sees you standing nearby and waves you over.

You quietly approach Tsukishima, making sure to keep your distance as you draw near. "What's up?" you ask with a nervous smile.

"You look, uh, not so good, Y/N..." he admits awkwardly.

"Guess I had a bit too much to drink last night," you lie as you hide your bloody hands behind your back before he notices. However, that doesn't keep him from being suspicious.

"You sure?" he asks as he places his apple on the chair and stands up to get a better look at whatever's going on with you.

"I already said I'm fine I just didn't sleep so well last night," you continue to assure him, but your lies still fall on deaf ears. Tsukishima gets closer to you until he's practically hovering right over top of you which doesn't help the heat rising to your face. Not to mention the burning pain on the bottom of your feet that makes you want to scream.

"Tsukki," you mutter as you take a step back. "Really, I'm-" you begin before your heel catches on a stick and you begin to topple over.

In a mere instant, Tsukishima wraps his arm around your back and catches you just before your back hits the ground. "I'm not an idiot, Y/N," he sighs as he lifts you back up, his hand still placed on your back. He's not going to let you leave until he has his answer.

With a bit of hesitation, you hold out your hands to show him the burn-like wound on your palms. Instead of letting you go in fear of catching whatever the hell is going on with this supposed virus, Tsukishima takes your wrist in his hand and starts dragging you off. The burning pain on the bottom of your bare feet only worsens as he drags you off.

"What are you doing?" you ask as he pulls you away from the bus and into the woods. "Tsukishima, I need to quarantine myself with the others!" you insist.

"No, you don't. I don't know what this bullshit is all about, but it seems as though it causes your skin to burn easily, right?"

"Well, yes, but if it's still a virus that means something is causing our skin to act this way," you remind him as you now enter the start of the woods.