aglais io

chapter four: aglais io

"This is the best I can do," you tell Bokuto. You've wrapped his leg in bandages with wood on either side to keep his leg straight. Luckily, you've got a pair of crutches to lend him, too.

"Once you can walk without the crutches, you're free to do as you want," you tell him.

"When will that be?"

"Probably three weeks. Maybe more... It depends on how quickly your leg heals."

You hear Tsukishima mutter something under his breath. You look over at him in the front seat but don't say anything. He's still driving and you don't feel like starting another argument.

"This will help you, though, I promise. You really need it. If you want to leave, I can't make you stay, but it'll take way longer for you to heal and I can't let you take the crutches. I need them for future patients, too," you explain.

"That's alright," he nods. "I'll stay and do whatever I can to help you out. I really appreciate the help, Y/N. Besides, I don't really have anywhere else to be these days," he smiles sadly.

"You, too, huh? What happened?"

"Once the power went dead, my parents flew out of the country. But being a broke college kid, I couldn't afford it on my own. Even if I could now, all the flights have been shut down. There's nobody to pilot the planes either."

"Have you gone to an airport?" you ask curiously. Even Tsukishima looks through the rearview mirror to listen to the conversation.

Bokuto nods. "Yeah, about a month back. It was depressing. No way I'm going back there again. It was just a reminder of how shit the world has become."

The three of you sit in silence for a while until Tsukishima turns a corner and pulls into a parking lot. He puts the bus in park and calls out, "We're here. Let's make this quick."

You have half a mind to tell Bokuto to stay behind and rest, but you don't want him alone with your stuff and your gun. Instead, you help him up with a smile on your face. "It'll be good to get some food you like. Maybe it'll cheer you up a bit."

"Oh, I'm sure it will," he smiles back widely. "Thanks," he then adds as you hand him the crutches. Together, the two of you walk inside behind Tsukishima. But once you get in, you break off from the group and raid the place for whatever you can find. Tsukishima was right, this place looks like it hasn't even been touched, but it's on the outside of town so it's no wonder nobody's been here.

Suddenly, you see a light flash from the back of the store. You gently drop your things in a pile on the ground quietly and tiptoe over. "Where are you going?" Bokuto asks as he sees you walk past his aisle. You look at him and put a finger to your lips before continuing to walk towards the light. He shrugs and goes back to snacking on a bag of chips.

Near the back left corner of the store is an emergency exit. You gulp before nervously opening it, but a wave of relief washes over you when you discover nobody's there. It was all in your head. You only saw a reflection of light from outside.

With a sigh, you close the door. Suddenly, a hand slams down beside your head before you can even turn around. "Who the fuck are you?" a voice whispers deeply in your ear. Perhaps in a different setting, you'd find the voice attractive.

"Y/N. I'm not alone so don't even think-" you begin before the man grabs your shoulder and turns you around to slam your back against the door. He's a tall, handsome man with black spikey hair. He leans right over you, his face way too close for comfort. He can probably smell the fear on you. God, when was the last time you jumped into the lake to wash off anyway? Now you're surrounded by three admittedly attractive guys who all probably think you smell like shit.

"What're you doing here?" he asks.

"Same as you, I assume. We're just getting food. We don't mean to cause any harm."

The man smirks at your answer. "Y'know, when the power died, I was one of those criminals in jail."

"When the power died I killed some of the criminals who escaped from jail," you lie. You've been hiding in your bus the whole time.

This time he laughs at your response. "I like you," he says with a nod as he leans away from you and holds out his hand to pull you away from the door. "I'm Tetsuro Kuroo. Nice to meet you, Y/N."

"Nice to meet you, too, I guess..."

"Where are your friends at?" he then changes the conversation. "Maybe I can tell ya if you're hangin' out with the wrong crowd."

"I'll show you over," you tell him, ignoring the second half of his statement.

"Bokuto! Tsukishima!" you call out as you wander around the store which you're beginning to realize is bigger than you thought.

In an instant, Tsukishima comes running over. Bokuto, however, calls out saying that he'll be right there. You can hear the sound of his crutches in the distance. Tsukishima's eyes grow wide when he sees Kuroo standing beside you.

"Hey, don't I know you?" Kuroo grins.

Tsukishima shakes his head. "No, you most certainly do not."

Kuroo nods as he shakes his finger while he thinks. "I don't know. I can't put my finger on it but I swear I've seen you before."

Tsukishima clears his throat. "Y/N, can I have a second?"

"Be right back," you say to Kuroo with a roll of your eyes as you push Tsukishima a little ways from Kuroo. "What now?"

"You need to stop running into so many damn people!" he lectures.

"Why? So you can kill me when we're alone? Stop being so skeptical!" you groan.

"You're making this trip way too risky, Y/N."

Just then, Bokuto comes over on his crutches. "Oh, hey guys. Who's this?"

"Kuroo," you say to introduce him. "And Kuroo, this is Bokuto."

"Hey," Kuroo waves. "I just came for some food, too."

"Good stuff," Bokuto nods before looking over at you. "Has he got any weapons on him?"

Kuroo puts his hands up to his shoulder. "I don't, but feel free to search me."

You and Tsukishima look at each other. Bokuto can't do it and you know Tsukishima would rather die than go near Kuroo. And so, you sigh as you step towards the third stranger you've met in one day.

"Ah, I was hoping it'd be you," he teases as you put your hands on his torso.

"Don't get too excited," you smile as you run your hands up and down his sides before sliding them down towards the pockets of his pants.

"If you feel anything, it isn't a gun. I promise," he chuckles.

Immediately, you back away from him and almost knock over Bokuto. He's quite bold, isn't he?

"The three of you make an odd group," Kuroo then remarks. "Got room for one more? I'd like to see how this whole thing plays out."

Ignoring his comment from before, you smile at him. You must admit, you were thinking something similar since the start of your day.