Chapter 1

You had finally arrived in New York state, after having been stuck on the road with your father for several days. He was convinced moving to Riverdale would solve all his financial and personal problems. You only hoped a change of scenery may bid him to stop drinking or at least cut back, but you'd hoped enough in your years to know better than to believe that such a thing would ever happen. You could already see your father's hands shaking as he pulled into the parking lot of the vintage looking diner. 

"Let's get in here, get this food to go. I want to get to the house before it gets dark." His eyes seemed to dart to the bag of liquor bottles he had acquired from a liquor store earlier in the day, just in case he wasn't able to find a liquor store open this late in the new town. You sighed internally, while giving yourself a quick glimpse in the fold down mirror. Your eyeliner was smeared, hair frizzy, and blotches of dry skin peppered your face. You miserably thought about the first impression you would be making on your new town.

The neon lights reflected on every surface of the dinner, the overall ambience seeming to take you back to the fifties. There was a booth with three girls around your age, one of them with fierce long locks of red and designer clothing. Another girl strode inside as you waited at the counter to order. She was adorned in a jet-black trench coat and a gorgeous dress. You immediately felt self-conscious in your distressed jeans and loose-fitting Iron Maiden band shirt.

"Can we get two cheeseburgers with fries to go? And could I get a bourbon and coke for here?" Your father spoke to a jolly looking man that had approached the counter with a name tag that said Pop.

"I am sorry sir, but we do not serve liquor. I can get that food going for you though." Your father looked disgusted at this revelation.

"Sure... I'll just have a beer then."

"Coming right up."

You turned around after hearing the door open again. That was the first time you saw him, and you know it sounded crazy, but it was if your heart, and perhaps all of time, just stopped in that one moment. He wore a gray knitted beanie, his raven hair falling out of one side. His jeans and jacket looked well worn, and his demeanor immediately fascinated you. It was downright rare for you to ever find interest in someone in real life, but here he was and you couldn't seem to look away. He sat alone at a booth typing away on his laptop, taking a small sip of the coffee he'd ordered. He must have felt your eyes on him because he peered at you from over his laptop, quickly causing you to look away, the heat rising on your cheeks.

 He must have felt your eyes on him because he peered at you from over his laptop, quickly causing you to look away, the heat rising on your cheeks

Pop handed you the bag of food and bided you a good night. As you walked back to the car with your father, you turned around and snuck one last look at the boy through the window; wishing that it would not be the last time you saw him.