prodryas persephone

chapter one: prodryas persephone

You sigh as you walk from the lunchroom and into the nurse's station. Your friend looks up at you from her desk and smiles, knowing exactly what's got you down.

"How's it going, Y/N?" she teases.

"It's only lunch but I'm already tired of today," you groan as you lean over the counter in front of her computer. 

"Doctor Cheronobog giving you trouble again, is he?" 

"God, he's so annoying. Always with his perverted and sexist jokes not excluding or limited to me as a doctor," you explain to her. 

"We really should report him," she insists.

"Again? But we've already tried twice. He's a Japanese male doctor. Nobody's going to fire him or even believe either of us," you grumble.

"Man, when is a hot doctor going to come in here," she sighs. "Oh, besides you, of course," she then teases.

"Hopefully soon or else the world just might crumble around me," you laugh.

Suddenly, the doors are thrown open and a patient is rolled in on a stretcher.

"Dr. L/N!" your name is called, and you rush their way. But before you can help, you suddenly find yourself in an entirely different world.

What you were just dreaming of is the days of the past, back when your biggest worry was a shitty coworker and long days in the office. Now, you're living on your own in a world you'd hardly recognize as your past self.

Six months ago a power surge overloaded the circuits all across your home country of Japan. Electricity went completely out and because of that, criminals from prisons all over the country escaped their cells. 

It was only a matter of time until the government collapsed and those who could afford it, fled the country. Being a doctor, you could have, too, but the strong urge to stay and protect those who could not, really tugged at your heart. 

Your makeshift office in a school bus has become somewhat well known in the small town you made base at, but you're wary not to become too famous and risk your own safety. 

After your dream, you wake up on the floor near the back by the emergency exit. You've made a habit of sleeping by the locked door just in case you need to make an escape from what you now consider to be the front door of your home/office. 

You've got a pretty huge chaise sectional sofa, a gift from a patient who even installed it for you a while back. It takes up a lot of room in the bus but you consider it important since it's where you perform your 'operating'. 

On the opposite side of your large sofa is an end table you use to store all your medical equipment. But besides these two pieces of furniture, the rest purely functions as your home. You have a table big enough for three people to sit at just behind the driver's seat and across from that- next to the door- is your small pantry and icebox used to keep things cool since there's no electricity for a refrigerator. 

Though you live in a bus, you don't move around in it often except for the occasional drive to a 7-Eleven or grocery store nearby for ice, snacks, or gasoline for your grill. Outside your bus, you have a small garden. Vegetables grow in an organized pattern surrounded by a wired gate to keep out animals and pests. However, you don't typically lock the garden since it isn't likely for someone to steal. There's still plenty of food in Japan since most of the population up and left.

You get up from your sleeping bag and walk over to your pantry for a snack. Fortunately for you, when you reach in you find a nice potato ready for eating. It's nothing compared to McDonald's like back in the before, but it does nicely to keep you alive. 

You then step over to your icebox (which you were surprised to find still being made in 2099. Who was buying them anyway?) and pull out a glass bottle of coke. Since there's no air conditioning or heat inside your bus when it isn't running, you step outside and walk out to your garden.

There, you're surprised to see a small hole dug under your fence. Just on the other side, you find a few carrots missing as well. With a bite into your potato like you're some famished military trainee about to fight some gigantic monster, you come up with a plan to defeat your new enemy. You don't have the time or energy to make extra food for those who aren't pulling their own weight. Seriously, the least the damn pest could do is give you some fertilizer after stealing your crops, right?

Either way, your stomach is rumbling. After finishing your potato and throwing your bottle into the recycling bin, you open the door to your bus and walk inside. Under the driver's seat, you reach around blindly until your hand reaches the shotgun you had been gifted by yet another patient.

"None us wanna see you gettin' into any trouble, but ya gotta keep one on ya just to be safe," the old man had told you. Though you've never had any intention of purchasing a weapon, the hopeful look in the old man's eyes pleaded for you to take it until you finally gave in. It's come in handy, you can't lie, but the trip to the gun shop is always a risky one. 

After cocking the gun, you mutter to yourself as you walk into the forest near your home. "Damn rabbit. At least you'll be fatter this way. Better hope you're smart enough to run far away before I get you, you fuck. How am I gonna help other people if I can't even help my own self, huh? Goddammit, now I've got to worry about fixing my fence, too."

Thinking nothing of it, you step away from your school bus to hunt for dinner just like you have most days for the past six months.