Chapter 88: Eye of the Storm

The final week of school before winter break was predictably crazy.  Exams were over, so school was relatively low stakes at the moment, but nonetheless reasonably busy as the term wound down to break.  Volleyball practice was of course, ramping up to insane levels, as the National tournament was now only two weeks away.  With the intervening holidays, Daichi was eager to get as much time in the gym as he could possibly convince his team to give him.

It was Wednesday, and Tadashi and Tsukishima were enjoying a relatively quiet best friend lunch in the classroom.  It was gently snowing outside, and many of their classmates had decided to enjoy the winter weather and have a little fun.  The two boys were engaged in a conversation about what they had each gotten their girlfriend for Christmas when Tsukishima's phone buzzed in his pocket.  

Yamaguchi chuckled as his old friend checked his phone.  "So what does Naka-chan want?" he asked with a fond smile.

Tsukishima arched a brow at the brunette.  "For your information, Tadashi, it isn't Naka-chan."

"What?  Who is it then?" Tadashi's curiosity was evident as he watched the blonde tap out a reply.  

"Am I expected to tell you whenever I communicate with someone, Yamaguchi?" Tsukki asked sassily, making the pinch server glare at him.  The taller boy rolled his eyes and huffed out an annoyed breath.  "Fine, if you must know, it's Kuroo."

Tadashi chuckled, resuming his snacking on his lightly salted Calbee chips.  "So what does the Captain of Nekoma have to say then?"

"He's hoping Nakano and I will join him for dinner tonight.  Apparently, he's in town again to have dinner with a cousin - a cousin he doesn't particularly like it seems.  He says the guy's kind of a dick, and he's hoping Naka-chan and Iaszzzzzzzz will come along so he has someone else to talk to for the evening.  He tried to get out of it, but he ended up giving in to please his aunt."

Tadashi laughed again.  "Yeah, family can be a pain in the neck sometimes.  So, are you guys gonna go, Tsukki?"

"Well, I'm not particularly keen on spending an evening with someone that Kuroo thinks is a dick, given his own personality, however, they are going to that really good kaisendon place in town.  It's been a while since I had a raw seafood bowl."

"So you're telling me you're just in this for the fish?"  Yamaguchi queried, a teasing smirk on his face.

Tsukki's answering grin was equally sassy.  "Well, Kuroo is my senpai, Tadashi.  I wouldn't want to be rude to him or anything.  But really, it will be up to Naka-chan."

Nakano, of course, was more than willing to help out Kuroo-bro (mostly because she was hoping to get a little time to talk to him about Amalie, Tsukishima was certain), and so, the two blondes made their way into town after volleyball practice, catching up with their dark-haired senpai outside the kaisendon restaurant.  

"Tsukki!  Naka-chan!" Kuroo called out in greeting as the couple approached, "Thanks so much for joining me tonight.  I'm really glad you came."  The tall captain offered them each a warm smile and a high five, which they both completed eagerly.

"So where's this cousin of yours?" Tsukki asked.

Kuroo sighed, and looked a bit sheepish.  "Running late, as usual.  And I'm sure he'll have forgotten his wallet, or lost his money, or something like that too.  So, please, let me tell you this right now - dinner is on me.  It's the least I can do for you guys for coming along to this tonight.  Maeno is a royal pain in the ass, and sitting through a whole evening with him alone would have driven me out of my mind."