Chapter 68: Feed Me

Bokuto was standing in the hallway outside of his room, fidgeting.  It was several minutes after one o'clock, and Kenma had sworn to him that if everyone wasn't down in the kitchen by 1pm, Bokuto was in big trouble.  The redoubtable ace didn't really think the Nekoma setter would do anything too bad to him, but Kenma was quiet, kind of like Akaashi, and Bokuto knew that when Akaashi threatened him with something in that soft voice of his, he meant it.  He wondered if that was a setter thing.  Maybe Nakano would know.  Of course, he wasn't sure if he wanted to get Naka-chan to threaten him, because it seemed like she would be really scary if she did, maybe even scarier than Akaashi.  Yeah, the owl captain thought, it's definitely a setter thing.

"Bro!  What smells so good?" Kuroo said as he came out of his room, looking chipper.  Bokuto just grinned at him.

"My goodness... something smells fabulous..." Nakano said as she and Tsukki arrived on the second floor, catching up with the other two bros.  "Is that... kabocha korokke?"

"Saba shioyaki?" Kuroo asked, taking a deep inhale through his nose.

"I smell something strawberry baking," Kei whispered, "it's not my birthday."

Bokuto was now bouncing on the balls of his feet like he was about to explode.  "Come ooooonnnnn, guys!  Let's get downstairs for the first part of the birthday extravaganza!"  

"Extravaganza?" Kuroo asked with a chuckle, following his bro.

"I think I'm slightly terrified," Nakano chimed in.  Tsukishima just leaned over and kissed the girl on the cheek.  "You deserve an extravaganza for your birthday, Roses," the boy whispered as they followed Kuroo down the stairs, "you certainly gave me one for mine."  The girl just giggled as they descended into the delicious smelling kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" Bokuto and Kenma yelled as Kuroo and Nakano entered the kitchen.  

"I got Kenma to make us all a fantastic brunch thingy for your birthdays!" Bokuto looked extraordinarily pleased with himself.  Kuroo was clearly swallowing his laughter and Kenma was rolling his eyes.

"Yep, he got me to do this for you.  Would never have happened without him."  Kenma said softly, with a definite hint of sarcasm in his tone.  Bokuto puffed out his chest and somehow looked even more impressed with himself at this, proving that sarcasm is generally lost on the Boku-bro.

Nakano leaned over to Kuroo, whispering softly.  "Let me guess, Kenma cooks for you for your birthday every year?"

Kuroo gave vent to a smothered, squeaky sort of yelp before whispering, "Uh-huh," in a tone at least an octave above his normal speaking voice.  Nakano chuckled as she watched Kuroo try so very hard not to lose it, in deference to the fragile ego of his beloved Boku-bro, who had clearly put a great deal of thought and effort into his birthday planning. 

"Go on, everyone sit," Kenma said, pointing at the chairs along the kitchen's extended counter.  "Everything's ready, and I don't know how you all are feeling, but I'm actually kinda hungry."

"You feelin' alright there, Kenma?" Kuroo quipped, sitting himself down in the center seat of the five chairs.  "Should we maybe call a doctor or something?"

"Shut up, Kuroo," Kenma mumbled, a small smile on his face as he began plating the food he'd been working on for the past couple of hours.  All four teens looked on in awe as the plates took shape.  Kenma served each person omurice, saba shioyaki, kabocha korroke with tonkatsu sauce, and miso soup.  Kuroo, naturally, got extra saba shioyaki, while Nakano got extra pumpkin croquettes.  Five glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice were already set out, and Tsukishima smiled appreciatively at the taste.