Chapter 116: Kageyama: I Know You Care

I have no idea why, but for some reason, I'm wide awake.

It's really early in the morning...like, before sunrise early.  I woke up a little bit ago, went to the bathroom, and now...I'm just awake.  I've been lying here in bed, trying to go back to sleep, but it isn't working.

Shoyo is asleep.  Very asleep.  Like snoring loud enough to wake the dead asleep.  I've poked him three times, and he sorta grunts awake, shifts position a little, and goes right back to snoring.  Most of the time his snoring doesn't bother me, though.  So I don't really think that's what's keeping me awake.

I think I'm gonna give up. 

Maybe I can get some breakfast.  There's lots of good leftovers in the fridge.  I head downstairs, trying to think about what might be good to munch on.

Naka-chan is in the kitchen already.

"Hey, Tobio-chan, what are you doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep anymore."

She giggles.  "Me either.  Tsukki is out like a light, but I'm wide awake."

"Same here.  Hinata is down for the count, but no matter what I did, I just couldn't fall back to sleep."

"Want some tea?  I figured I'd make some and go watch the sunrise from the porch."

"That sounds great."

We're quiet as we prepare the tea and gather up some leftovers to eat.  The whole house is quiet, and making too much noise at this hour just seems wrong.  Now I'm kinda glad I woke up this early.  There's something I think I want to talk to Naka-chan about, and this seems like a perfect opportunity.  As we step outside on to the porch, we both seem to suck in a breath.  The sky is beautiful, with pinks and oranges and golds just beginning to creep over the horizon.  We settle in with two cups of sencha and a plate of snacks between us and just watch the sky change colors.  The air is fresh and clean, and the sound of the ocean is calming, and it's nice to just sit here for a bit.

At last the Sun breaks over the horizon, and the beach has really come alive with birds.  Nakano finishes her tea, turns to me, and smiles.

"So, what's on your mind, Big Bro?"

I can't help it, I laugh.  "You always know."

"That's why you love me, Tobio-chan.  Now, come on, let's hear it."

I want to talk to her, but I'm not sure where to begin.  I'm quiet for a bit, and Naka-chan just waits.  She's always so patient with me, and I like that about her.

"I've been dating Hinata for five months now."  I just blurted that out.  Sometimes I don't even understand my own brain.  But hey, I guess that's a place to start.

She smiles at me.  "It seems like you guys are getting along really well."

"I guess."

Now she looks concerned.  "Do you feel like you're not, Tobio?"

"No.  I mean, yeah.  I mean..."  I heave a sigh, and decide to come at this from another direction.  "Naka-chan, what was it like for you and Tsukishima at five months?"

She arches a brow at me.  "Wow, this is bothering you.  You actually used his name."  I scoff at her, and she scrubs her hand at me.  "I'm sorry, I'm sorry.  Look Tobio, why do you even want to know?  What's upsetting you about the way you and Shoyo are that you feel the need to compare yourselves to me and Kei?"

"I just...I feel like we're...just...us!  Like we're the same way we always were, but now we kiss and cuddle sometimes.  Aren't we supposed to like...I dunno...grow and change or whatever?  Like get all deep and meaningful?  Isn't that how you and your blonde asshole are now?"