Chapter 9: Demons (TW)

(TW: Brief mention of suicidal thoughts)

Nakano woke early the next morning, and grabbed her phone immediately.

Queen Setter 🏐
Hey you awake?

My Big Bro 🤗
Mostly.  What's up?

Queen Setter 🏐
Can you come to Karasuno a little early?  I wanna talk before everything starts happening.

My Big Bro 🤗
What's wrong? You okay?

Queen Setter 🏐
Yep.  I just figured you might need a little extra something something from the team's official encouragement kisser. 😘

My Big Bro 🤗
Do not start this again.

Queen Setter 🏐
Just meet me there okay?

My Big Bro 🤗
I'll be there by 7:45

Nakano smiled and hurried to prepare.  After yesterday's yelling, she needed a strong cup of tea with plenty of honey to start the day.  

Nakano and Kageyama met up on their way to the gym.  The girl pulled him over to a bench not far from the vending machines.

"So what's this all about Naka-chan?"

She smiled at him and pulled him into a tight hug.  Kageyama started, but soon returned it, feeling the warm, full feeling in his chest that hugging Nakano always gave him.  This is good, he thought, but what's on her mind?  He stayed put for a few moments, just enjoying the pleasant feeling, before voicing his concerns.

"Naka-chan?  Not that I don't appreciate this, but..."

She let him go and smiled at him again.  "Yesterday, you supported me through my confrontation with Flattykawa.  Today, I want you to know that I will support you through yours."

His eyes widened and he looked at her.  My first real game against him, he thought.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she knows how important this is to me.  

"I won't lose," Kageyama said, giving the girl a fierce grin.

"Wrong," she replied.  "We won't lose.  Dammit Tobio, don't fall into his trap again.  You are not facing him alone.  You've got a team on your side.  We face him together, okay?  Don't let him get inside your head."  Kageyama nodded, his eyes still wide as he processed her words.  "I know it will be hard.  He's really good at messing with people...and he knows he's got ways into our heads especially.  He won't hesitate to use those weapons on the court.  Just remember the team will have your back.  And I'll be cheering you on the whole time."

"Thanks, Naka-chan."  Kageyama noticed Tsukishima and Yamaguchi approaching.  He stood up and held out his fist, offering her their traditional best-friend hug.  She laughed and enthusiastically participated in their little ritual.  

"Oh," she said, as they parted from their hug, "be ready to change your signals too.  I'll bet you anything Jerkykawa went over our game with Date Tech with a fine tooth comb.  If he hasn't figured out the signals from watching that, you can bet he'll catch on pretty early into the game today."  Kageyama agreed.

"Morning, Nakano, Kageyama," Yamaguchi called out with a wave.

"Yes, good morning, Your Highness," Tsukishima smirked at Kageyama, who just glowered at him.  "And good morning to you, Naka-chan," he said with a wicked smile, "Giving some encouragement to the King, I see?"  Yamaguchi looked at Tsukishima.  Did he just call her Naka-chan?  When did that become a thing?