Chapter 18: Learning to Fly

The week following their first date turned out to be an extremely busy one for Nakano and Tsukishima.  Not only was it exam week, there was also a great deal going on with the team as they prepared to go to their away camp with the Fukurodani Academy Group.  The week began with Daichi calling the two over to talk with him at break time during Monday's practice.

"What's up, Cap?" Nakano asked.  

"I just wanted to have a quick word with the two of you."  He paused, looking a little unsure of how to proceed.  "I'm not trying to get too deep into anyone's personal lives here, but..."  

Tsukishima and Nakano exchanged a glance, and the girl nodded.

"Sir, if you're concerned that us dating each other will affect the team, well, we've already decided it's not going to."  Tsukishima said.

Daichi gave him a confused look.

"What we mean Cap, is that the needs of the team come first.  We were teammates before we started dating.  If anything happens between the two of us that looks like it might impact our ability to continue working as teammates, well, the good of the team has to come before any other consideration.  We talked about this, and we've both agreed.  We will do what needs to be done to make sure the team has what it needs to continue."  Nakano declared.

"That's...uh...that's some pretty intense assertions there, Nakano."  Daichi said, looking a little embarrassed.  "I was just going to ask that we keep the PDA down to a minimum during practices, but I guess you both have thought about this more seriously than that."

"That isn't something you'll need to worry about, Captain.  Nakano and I both agree that practice is not the time for that sort of thing."  Tsukishima stated.

"At least, not very much," Nakano said with a twinkle in her eyes, "I reserve the right to mess with people as needed."  Both Tsukishima and Daichi gave the girl a stern look.  "What?" she said, "You both know I'm right.  Sometimes you just need to mess with people.  It breaks the tension."  Tsukishima rolled his eyes, and Daichi just laughed.

"All right, I think I can safely say I was worried about nothing.  You guys seem to understand that practice still needs to be practice and not date night.  Thanks for the chat, you two."  Daichi headed back into the gym, leaving them alone.

"Planning to mess with someone, are you?"  Tsukishima smirked at his girlfriend.

"Maybe," Nakano put her arms around Tsukki's neck.  

He held on to her waist, drawing her closer.  "I thought we agreed none of this during practices,"  he teased, his lips almost touching hers.

"This isn't practice, it's a break."  She kissed him, he happily joined in.

"Didn't we just discuss this?" Daichi called from the gym doors, laughter clear in his voice.

The two laughed.  "Yes, Captain!" They called out, heading back into practice.

For the most part, practices continued as they always had.  Nakano was able to take an even more active role in drills and exercises, and she and Tsukishima did indeed keep their promise to Daichi and keep their romance out of the gym, mostly.  No one seemed to mind an occasional quick kiss between the two, and even Kageyama seemed to get used to the idea.

Exams were a different problem.  Most of the team did well.  Tsukishima and Nakano were at the top of their class.  Even Nishinoya and Tanaka managed to pass their exams.  And then, there was Kageyama and Hinata.  They'd each managed to pass all of their exams - except one.  Meaning they were stuck with a retest on Saturday, and possibly supplementary lessons if they couldn't pass that.  Nakano couldn't believe it.  Tsukishima could.  Kageyama and Hinata seemed to be making plans to get to Tokyo by any means necessary.  While Nakano tried to talk the two out of attempting to bike to the city, Suga pulled Tsukishima aside.

His Warrior Queen: A Haikyuu!! Novel (Tsukishima x OC)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara