Chapter 7: Let's Get It Started

"Tobio-chan, it's so nice to see you again.  Thank you for making sure Naka-chan got home safely."

"I'm happy to do it, Ogawa-san.  Nakano is a like a sister to me."  Kageyama smiled at Nakano.  The pair were seated at the dinner table, both working on their second helping of pork curry.  Nakano stuck her tongue out at Kageyama, and he snorted at her.

"Nakano!" Her mother laughed.  "Goodness, you two are like brother and sister." She got up and began to clean up from the evening meal.

"Thank you so much for having me to dinner," Kageyama said around a mouthful of food.

"Dude, that's so gross," Nakano said, her own mouth pretty full.  Her mother just laughed again.  "Wanna play some video games after this?"

"Sure.  I've been dying to kick your butt at MarioKart again."

"You're on."

Two hours later, Kageyama had indeed established himself as the undisputed MarioKart champion, at least between the two of them.  Nakano was about to challenge him one more time when both of their phones went off simultaneously.

"Group chat!"  they both said, opening the app.

Dad
Hey guys.  Coach Ukai asked me to pass along that we're moving up the start of practice tomorrow.  Be at the gym no later than 10am.  Interhighs are in a week so we're going to really be working it.  Respond so I know you know.

Pretty Setter
Got it!

NOT Baldy
Got it!

King
I'll be there.

Queen
10am

Pretty Setter
Who changed my name this time?  

The group chat continued to ping with everyone checking in.  Kageyama checked the time.  "Oh man, it's already 10pm.  I'd better get going.  I've got a long walk home, and then I need to get some sleep if I'm going to get to the gym at 10am tomorrow and actually be good for anything."

"You wanna stay here?  I'm sure my mom would let you.  Amalie's at college, so you could use her room."

"You sure that would be okay?"

"Why not?"  Nakano opened her door and yelled for her mom. 

Forty minutes later, Kageyama was all settled in.  Nakano sat next to him on her sister's bed.  Amalie's room was much girlier than Nakano's, in shades of pink and purple, with posters of popular boy bands still lining the walls of the room as they did when Amalie was attending Karasuno.  Random stuffed animals were littered around the room as well.  The only piece of furniture completely cleaned out was Amalie's makeup table.  Nakano chuckled.

"You gonna be okay sleeping in the girl cave?"  she asked Kageyama.

Kageyama looked around.  "You and Amalie are pretty different."  He thought about Nakano's room, done in shades of blue and decorated with volleyball items and weights.  Her one 'girly' thing was her huge collection of stuffed pandas.  They covered one whole wall of her room, with the largest ones being down on the floor.  "I can't imagine you ever having boys plastered all over your walls, or setting yourself up a makeup table."

"Yeah, I've never really been the girly girl type.  I can't see the point of spending time putting makeup on when it's not gonna help.  Plus it'll just come off when I work out anyway."

"What do you mean, 'not gonna help'?"

"Makeup is supposed to make you look all beautiful and whatever, right?  Well, given the state of things, I don't think it will do any good.  No one's gonna look at my face when the braces are in front of them."