Chapter 31: We Are Family

Kei remained sitting at the top of the stairs, waiting and watching for Nakano.  At last he heard his mother's voice.  "...up the stairs, first door on the right."  Kei suppressed a chuckle as he thought about the fact that the girl now being given directions to his room had actually slept in it with him for the past two nights.  When Nakano suddenly appeared climbing the steps, Kei leaped up and grabbed her hand, almost yanking the girl into his room.  The door had scarcely clicked shut behind them when he engulfed her in his arms, stroking her strawberry blonde hair.

"Oh my god Naka-chan, I had no idea this would happen.  I'm so so sorry."  He held her tightly, his breathing hard.  "Are you okay?  That was so..."

"Kei, how much did you hear?" she mumbled into his neck.

He could feel her trembling a little in his arms.  He put a little space between them so he could see her face, his long fingers tracing over her cheeks.  "Almost everything," he said, his golden eyes warm with deep affection, "Roses, if I had known..."

"It's okay.  Akiteru gave me a...sort of heads up that something was going to happen."

"He must have known what was coming...he stopped me when I almost stormed into the room."

Nakano chuckled.  "That probably would not have been good."  She walked over and sat on his bed, taking a deep breath. He settled down beside her, wrapping his arms around her again.

"When she asked what you would do, if she...." the words caught in Kei's throat, the idea of not being allowed to see her too painful to contemplate.  He took a deep breath, and tried again.  "When you said that you'd wait for me..." he trailed off again as his voice cracked, betraying his deep emotions.  "Dammit," he muttered as his eyes began to shimmer a little with tears.  He grabbed hold of Nakano and kissed her, not knowing how else to express what he was feeling.

They remained so until a soft knock sounded on Kei's door.  The two teens settled themselves a bit before Kei called out.  "Come in."

Akiteru opened the door, peeking in at the two teens.  "Okay if I come in?" he asked.

Kei clicked his tongue.  "I wouldn't have said 'come in' if it wasn't," he drawled, rolling his eyes.  

"Hey," Akiteru said, coming in to the room and closing the door behind him.  "I just wanted to check on you, Nakano.  I hope our mom didn't upset you too bad."

The girl smiled at him.  "Well, it's thanks to your warning that I didn't just completely break down," she rubbed the back of her neck, a little embarrassed, "I'd been awfully nervous about this evening."

"Why didn't you say something to me?  Why didn't you stop this?  I don't understand, Akiteru," Kei looked at his brother in irritation, only the presence of his girlfriend keeping him from shouting at the older boy.

Akiteru sighed.  "Believe me Kei, I tried to talk her out of doing anything so dramatic, but you're the baby and Mom is...Mom," he gave the two a lopsided grin.  "I'm just glad you picked up on what I said, Nakano.  Please forgive her, she really doesn't mean any harm."

"It's all good, Aki-nii," the blonde girl said with a grin.

Kei scoffed.  "Are you seriously gonna call him that?"

The look Nakano gave him was priceless.  "He asked me to call him that.  Is there a problem?"

"Just what I need, yet another older brother of yours to deal with," Kei muttered, "How many older brothers are you gonna collect?"

Nakano laughed.  "Actually, he's your older brother, but you're very kind to share him with me," she said, snuggling against her boyfriend as Akiteru looked at them confused.  Kei snorted but his lips curled gently into a smile.  Well, I think we've made it through the second major relationship hurdle, Kei thought, though it was quite the challenge.  I hope this brings the drama to an end for a little while, I could use a break.