Chapter 21: Work it Out

It was still dark outside as the team gathered together, giving their bags to Takeda-sensei and Coach Ukai to load on the bus.  Nakano walked up, carrying several of the team's bags from the gym, just in time to hear her blonde boyfriend mocking Kageyama and Hinata for being able to sleep anywhere.

Dropping off the bags, she sidled up to Tsukki.  "Big talk coming from a man who is likely to be asleep with his head in my lap within the next 15 minutes," she said with a smirk, gently hip-checking her boyfriend.

As the middle blocker prepared to clap back at his girlfriend, his best friend walked by with his bags.  "She's got you there, Tsukki," Tadashi said, high-fiving Nakano as he walked past.

"Shut up, Yamaguchi."

"Sorry, Tsukki."  Yamaguchi and Nakano both laughed, as Tsukki tried to look stern but couldn't quite keep the corners of his mouth from turning up just a little. 

The three friends boarded the team bus, eyes moving around, trying to choose where to sit.

"We made sure to leave the bench in the back for you guys," Kinoshita said with a big smile.

"Yes, please, make yourselves comfortable," Ennoshita followed up, laughing.

Nakano and Tadashi laughed good-naturedly, remembering the last bus ride they took together.  Tsukishima clicked his tongue and grabbed Nakano's hand, pulling her to a pair of seats near the back.  "Not this time," he muttered under his breath.  Yamaguchi took the single seat across the aisle from them.

Both Nakano and Yamaguchi had noticed Tsukki's mood of late.  He was tense, off and on, and getting more tense as this week-long camp approached.  I'm sure our little dust up the other night has only made it worse, Nakano thought as she and Tsukki settled into their seats.  He's still not ready to talk to me about it yet, but things are going to come to a head at this camp.  Surrounded by players all striving to move forward as much as possible, he's not going to be able to ignore it.  She looked across the aisle at Tadashi, they shared a smile which told the other 'It's Tsukki, what else can we do?'  

Refocusing her gaze to Tsukki, Nakano found him staring at her.  Her eyes widened, and he leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"Say, Roses, could you please stop making eyes at Tadashi?  I'd appreciate it if my girlfriend kept her eyes on me."  His look was a mix of smirk and glare, and Nakano didn't fail to notice that.

"Hey, you know better than that," she whispered back.  "I wasn't making eyes at Yams.  I just feel bad that he ended up sitting alone."

"He's a big boy, he can find someone else to sit with if he wants," Tsukishima's voice softened a bit, "and I can't help it, I just like having you all to myself."  He delicately nibbled on the edge of her ear, she stifled a gasp.

"Kei!" she whisper-yelled.

"Whispering sweet nothings to each other?  How adorable!" Tanaka yelled from behind them, popping his head up over their seats.  Both blondes jumped, Nakano chuckling and Tsukishima groaning.

Nakano reached up and pushed Tanaka's face back away from their seats.  "Go take a nap, Tanaka-senpai," she said.

Instead, Noya joined Tanaka in leaning over the pair's seats, acting out their own version of the conversation they'd just interrupted.

"Oh, Naka-chan, I love you so much.  Kiss me!"  Noya said in his best manly Tsukishima voice, leaning over making kissy faces at Ryu.

"Oh!  Not here Kei, everyone will see!" replied Tanaka in his squeaky girly voice, fluttering his eyelashes and trying to keep away from Noya.