Chapter 55: You Did It

Sendai City Gymnasium was already abnormally crowded as Karasuno walked in, headed for the final game of the qualifying tournament.  Center court, thought Nakano, this is it.  We win today, we're going to Tokyo in January.  And at home, my dad will be watching.

He'd surprised the girl that morning, greeting her as she walked into the kitchen to make herself something to eat, and placing two big plates of milk bread French toast on the table.  Her eyes had gone wide.  "Dad?  What's going on?  Where's Mom?"

"Still asleep.  I told her she needed to take a day off and sleep in, and I decided to get up and make you something special for breakfast.  Your mom isn't the only one who can cook in this house, you know.  Now come here and eat.  You've got a big day ahead."

Nakano had smiled and sat down to an indulgent breakfast with her father.  They talked about the team and how they were doing, and the girl's expectations for the final match.  And then, as she prepared another bag of strawberries, they talked about the boys specifically.

"Your young man, he's a middle blocker, right?" her dad asked.

"He is.  A very good one.  He's our logical mind.  We wouldn't be able to get through these games without him."

Her dad smiled.  "What's his jersey number?  And Tobio's on your team too, right?  Which number is he?  Are they both in the starting line up?"

"Yes, they are.  Kei is Number 11, Tobio is Number 9.  Why, Dad?"

"So I know who I'm looking at when I watch the game today.  You're going to be on television, you know."

Nakano's eyes had gone as wide as saucers.  She'd known, in an abstract sense, that the game was going to be televised.  Now she suddenly realized her mom and dad might actually be watching them in real time.  Somehow, that made her self-conscious, and her dad had immediately noticed.  "Hey now, relax!  You just do you and forget about those cameras, okay?  I'm just glad your mom and I can watch you without making your young man overly nervous.  I'm guessing he'd absolutely lose it if I was to come with you to Sendai.  Once these qualifiers are over, we'll all get together as soon we can."

Nakano laughed aloud.  "Thanks, Dad.  I'm glad you'll be able to watch too.  Besides Kei and Tobio, our Number 10, Hinata Shoyo, is also a first year.  And then Yamaguchi Tadashi, Number 12, is Kei's best friend - he's a pinch server.  Watch for him too."

"That's a lot of first years participating in the team!  I'm kind of amazed."

"Yeah, Karasuno has some amazing volleyball talent.  I'm so lucky to get to work with them."

Her father had pulled her into a tight hug.  "And they are lucky to have you on their side, Little Warrior.  Knock 'em dead today!"

Nakano could feel the echo of her dad's hug as she walked down the main hallway of the gymnasium.  Her nerves were gone, and all she felt at the moment was excitement that her family would be able to watch her boys play.  Tsukki and Yamaguchi were up ahead, and Nakano was hurrying to catch up to them.  However, she couldn't help but slow down as she heard Hinata telling a couple other guys 'I got this.'

"That's what I like to hear, Shoyo!" she said as she went by, slapping the ginger on the back, chuckling.

Hinata laughed in reply, folding himself down under the force of her slap.  "You bet, Naka-chan!"

"Naka-chan?" Izumi asked, watching the strawberry blonde go by.

"Is she your girlfriend, Sho?" Koji asked, also staring at the girl.