Chapter 53: Nakano: Go Crazy (TW)

(TW: discussion of drug addiction and its residual effects)

The moment I open my eyes, I know today is going to be crazy.

Kei was so kind to me last night, staying on the phone until I fell asleep, his voice so sweet and gentle in my ears.  I wonder if anyone on the team would believe me if I told them that.  That Kei can be so loving it almost hurts.  

I get moving as quickly as I can, knowing there's so much to do today.  As I shower, I can't believe how lucky I am.  Dad is home, Mom and I are talking honestly with each other for the first time in years, and I have the best boyfriend on the planet.

And today, my team is going to kick ass.  

Normally, I would have done almost everything I needed to do to be ready for today the night before.  But between the thing with my Mom and Dad coming home...well...I did almost none of the things I usually do to prepare.  So the morning is a frantic rush, a scramble to make sure that I have everything I need, that I eat sufficiently to keep me going, that I don't skimp on treating my legs and risk a collapse later, that I make sure I'm ready to support my team and help them win today.  We've only got one game, which will make things a little easier.  Dad is still sleeping when Mom gives me a big hug and kiss, slips me a bag of strawberries ("Share with Kei-chan," she says), and tells me to make sure to lead my team to victory.  

I laugh, I can't help it.  She's always kept herself completely out of my volleyball life.  And now, she's rooting for me.  For my team.  I guess maybe she always was before too, she just didn't know how to say it.  Or maybe, I didn't know how to hear her.  

"Don't worry, Mom," I say, "I've got this."  She grins at me, and I smile and wave as I head out the door.

Kei is there already, waiting.  I run at him, flinging myself into his arms.  He staggers back, a lopsided smile taking over his face as he tries to keep us both upright.  "Good morning to you too, Roses," he says with a chuckle.

"I love you, Tsukishima Kei.  I love you so much I might just go crazy with it.  Thank you, for everything."

He pulls me into our favorite way of walking, getting us moving towards Karasuno.  "What's this all about, Roses?  Not that I'm complaining, mind you.  Just curious."

I chuckle.  "Everything about my life has gotten better since you became part of it, Kei.  You literally are the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I just want to make sure you know that."  I look up at him, and see the delicate shade of pink the tips of ears have turned.  I snuggle into him.  "As long as I've got you by my side, I swear I think I can do anything.  So, please Kei, don't ever leave me.  Stay with me always, love."  His ears are definitely getting redder, but he looks down at me with a soft smile.

"I will, Roses, as long as you promise to never let me go either."

"Deal, gorgeous."

We continue on, a warm and pleasant silence falling between us.  We snuggle each other particularly close as we walk.  Maybe it's the chill October morning, or maybe it's just because it feels so absolutely right.  I've got my opinion on the matter, and I bet you can guess what it is.  My heart feels so full I think it might burst.  How did this happen?  How did I get so lucky?  When Amalie insisted on trying to help me out back at the beginning of the year, I never, ever thought it would lead me to this place.  To being part of an amazing team.  To having an incredible boyfriend that I love so much.  And who loves and cares for me just the way I am.  Who listens to all my crazy stuff and wants to understand and helps me become a better person for working through it all.  Who's helping me heal in ways I never thought possible.