Chapter 106: Breakdown

Kei and Nakano lay cuddling on Nakano's bed, their lips swollen and pink from so much kissing.

It had been a delightful dinner, even if the teens had had to endure Ogawa-san's teasing about what might have caused the odd sounds he'd heard coming from inside the bedroom when he'd called them for dinner.  Emiko had tried to admonish her husband for embarrassing the children, but that had kind of fallen apart when she started to giggle as her husband described the thud and groan that had clearly been the sound of Kei hitting the floor.  Kei had turned several shades of red, but had accepted his fate as good-naturedly as he could.  After all, it wasn't like their parents weren't aware of the fact that the two made out fairly often, and on top of that - the man had been absolutely correct in his assessment of the sounds he'd heard.  Kei did, however, resolve to himself that if parents were home, making out was the most he and Nakano were going to be doing, regardless of temptation.

And so, after a lovely dinner of beef tenderloin in béarnaise sauce, followed naturally by the sampling of the chocolates the ladies had made for their men over the weekend (Kei had gently broken a corner off the carving Nakano had made, while Tanjiro had generously shared the heart-shaped truffles his wife had made for him), the two teens had retired to Nakano's bedroom and had promptly settled in for a very extended and cozy make out session.  Kei was careful not to let things escalate too far, and Nakano seemed to agree, not allowing her hands to wander too much.  After a while, the two had settled down, just cuddling and chatting as soft music from Nakano's phone played in the background.

"So how was it your mom knew to make dinner for four, Roses?" Kei asked, "We'd not officially made any plans for that tonight, and there's no way she could have made extra food that quickly."

Nakano snort-laughed.  "I assume Dad texted her once we got to the doctor's office.  I was really upset when I got in the car, and although I told him I didn't want to talk about it, I'm sure he knew."  A gentle blush made itself known on the girl's cheeks.  "Actually, I think Dr. Ishigami knew too.  I was...more than a little bitchy during our appointment.  He and Dad exchanged quite a few knowing glances.  I just wanted to smack the living heck out of both of them, honestly."

Kei chuckled, imagining his feisty girlfriend being all annoyed through her doctor visit.  "I guess I'm lucky you had that appointment today, or I think I would have been the one getting smacked."

Nakano kissed her sweetheart's cheek.  "Actually, I was more angry at myself by the time I got to the doctor's office.  I knew I'd acted like such an idiot, but I had no idea what to do or say to try to apologize.  I was just...nursing that anger, and it was easier to pretend I was still mad at you than to admit I'd been an ass."

"Dammit, why does the King have to be so right about us all the time," Kei muttered.

"Was the group chat right?" Nakano asked him, "Did Tobio inspire you to do that lyric text tonight?"

"Yeah, I guess he deserves some credit for it," Kei replied, with just a hint of a grouse, "I was fronting too - I knew I'd acted like a moron, but for some reason, I just couldn't admit it, not even to myself.  It was Kageyama who cut through all the bullshit and asked me - what really matters?  Winning the fight, or being with you?  And that was when I realized that you are the only thing that really matters to me, Roses.  Nothing else matters at all.  And that made me think of what you said to me, when I asked if you knew the Metallica song, remember?"

Nakano snuggled in closer.  "Yes, of course I do.  I cannot believe you did something so romantic in such a public forum, Kei.  And on the group chat, of all places!"

"Well, I figured we had the stupid fight in front of the team, why not make up in front of the team too."

Nakano laughed brightly, and Tsukishima could feel his heart soar.  How the hell did I let things get so out of hand, he wondered, gently stroking the girl's hair, that we spent more than two weeks feeling estranged?  I'm never allowing that to happen again.  Whatever goes on, no matter what we're feeling, we find a way to talk it out.  Our time together is too precious to me to waste it being unhappy.  Especially as we get older.  I know it will only get more difficult for us to spend time just being together as life takes its toll on us.