Chapter 74: Tsukishima: Nowhere That I'd Rather Be

Someone is saying my name, I think.

"Kei?  Kei...wake up...please, Kei I need your help, love."

Nakano...that's Nakano.  I blink my eyes open, trying to get oriented.  It must be a little bit before dawn, because there's light coming from the windows, but not the full light of day.  I don't think we've moved so much as an inch since we feel asleep here in Nakano's bed.  I'm still spooning my beautiful blonde girl and I contract myself a little, squeezing her a little tighter.  She groans.

Not the response I was hoping for.

"Roses?  Are you alright?"

"I feel like I ran a couple of marathons yesterday.  Everything hurts, but my legs are the worst.  And I have to pee so bad I feel like I'm going to explode."

I try to stifle it, but I can't.  I laugh.  She chuckles weakly.  "I'm very sorry you're hurting, beautiful, but that's actually a really good sign.  Let's get you to the bathroom and take care of the immediate problem first, hmmm?"

"Yes, please.  Thank you."  The relief in her voice almost makes me laugh again.  I clamber out of bed, stretch a second, and gather her gently up into my arms.  "Good morning, my love," I say, giving her a little peck on the nose.

She looks very weary, probably from hurting so much, but she still manages to scrunch her nose for me and giggle.  "Good morning, gorgeous."

I carry her into the bathroom, and suddenly come to an uncomfortable realization.

"Uh...should I try to go wake up your mom, or..."  Looking at our reflection in the mirror, I once again have to stifle a laugh.  We are a disheveled mess, both with bedhead to rival anything Kuroo does to his hair.  How we managed to do that without changing positions eludes me.  She smiles at me in the mirror, noticing me noticing.

"Go ahead and set me on my feet, Kei.  I think I can handle standing long enough to deal with my clothes.  I'll call you if I need help, okay?"

I nod, setting her on her feet in front of the toilet.  She grabs on to the counter top for support, but seems to be able to stand up on her own.  "I'll be right by the door if you need me," I say, grinning and slipping out quickly so she doesn't have to stand too long.

But she can stand.  With minimal support.  Looks like her doctor really does know what he's talking about.  If she continues improving at this pace, I think its quite likely she will be back to normal in a couple of days.  But right now, I think she needs to take some ibuprofen.  A part of me wonders if maybe she needs to take the muscle relaxers again, but I think she'll argue against that pretty intensively.  Better to start with something simple and ramp up only if she really needs it.

Although, I have to admit, kissing my totally spaced out girlfriend last night was indeed quite enjoyable.  But it's tomorrow, and now I have to face what I pushed aside all of yesterday, what we decided to not talk about until today.  I'm not really ready yet, now that the moment is here.  

I'm thinking to myself, considering running into the kitchen to grab us some water, placing the bottle of ibuprofen I found in her desk after rummaging about in her room quite a bit on her night table, when I hear a rather heavy thump in the bathroom.

I rush over, yanking the door open, and find Nakano in a heap on the floor, swearing like a sailor in aggravation.  I'm not sure if I should be mad at her or laughing at her.  I decide to go for the middle of the road option and be irritated.  "What happened?"

She looks up at me, face a bit red and now trying to stifle her curses.  "I decided to see how far I could make it on my own.  Apparently the answer was one step shy of being able to open the door."