Chapter 100: Feelings

Wednesday soon rolled around again, and with it Best Friend Lunch.  The late January weather was seasonably cold...it wasn't snowing, but it sure did look like it was thinking about it.  Tsukishima was brooding as he stared out the window in their classroom, making a face at the clouds like he was willing them to quit being indecisive and either snow or just go the hell away.  As their classmates began to scatter for lunch, Nakano stood, gathering up her bento, ready to make her way over to Kageyama's classroom.  She gave Tsukki a hug; he looked at her with a small smile that seemed somehow sad.  The girl kissed his forehead, wishing both her sweetheart and his best friend a nice lunch before heading out of the classroom.

Yamaguchi grabbed up his bento, watching his best friend give his attention back to the glowering sky.  Yamaguchi had seen this mopey, pensive look on Tsukishima's face more often than not over the past week or so, and today he was determined to do something about it.  I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but I can guess at least a little of it, he thought as he stood up.  I'm going to make sure Tsukki and I at least have the chance to talk about it today.  Yamaguchi put a smile on his face and tapped the blonde on his shoulder.  "How about we go eat lunch in the gym today, Tsukki?" he asked his friend.

"Why?" 

"Well...I...I just feel like getting out of the classroom today.  It'll be...quieter, in the gym."

Tsukishima turned to look at Yamaguchi at last, noting the the slightly nervous smile on his face, and the way he was rubbing the back of his neck.  Maybe he's got something on his mind, he thought.  Or maybe, he's noticed the mood I've been in lately.  Dammit, I hate it when I have to talk about feelings...but I also know that when he makes me do it, it's usually because I really need to.  Damn stupid Yamaguchi, he thought, the words accompanied by a small rush of fondness that was completely at odds with their content.  "Sure," was all the blonde said, grabbing up his bento and heading for the door.

The pair walked in silence, moving swiftly to get out of the cold and damp and into the warmth of the gym.  As predicted, the area was quiet, as few students had wanted to leave the coziness of their classrooms and seek out other spaces.  The two boys settled down in the spot they usually did on Tuesdays and Thursdays when Nakano did her workouts at lunchtime.  Kei felt a small pang - he wished the strawberry blonde were with him right now.  But to be fair, he reasoned, if this whole thing is Tadashi's way of getting me to talk, he probably knows there's a decent chance I'm going to need to talk about her.  Another small smile appeared on Tsukishima's face.  Dammit, a guy can't even be a proper brooding jackass thanks to all these caring people.  

Tadashi began conversing slowly, making small talk and trying to ease into asking the blonde what was bothering him.  Tsukishima was not responding - just eating and nodding vaguely.  After several minutes of this, suddenly, the middle blocker looked up and caught his friend's eyes.  

"Look Tadashi, why don't we just cut to the chase, hmm?  We're here to talk, so let's talk.  Did you have something you wanted to get off your chest, or are you just hoping I'll talk out whatever's been on my mind and quit being such a jerk already?"

Tadashi started, almost flinching backward at Tsukki's sudden outburst.  His friend was giving him a sly smirk - clearly he'd figured out exactly what this lunch in the gym thing was all about right from the get go.  The brunette laughed, eating a little more of his yakisoba.  "Alright, I guess there's no point in hiding it anymore.  I'll go first, if you want...since I kinda think we're both feeling a little bit of the same thing right now."

"What's on your mind, Tadashi?"

"Well, I'm guessing we're both feeling a little...let down, after everything, huh?"