Chapter 83: Up to the Challenge

Nakano yawned and stretched luxuriously after snoozing her phone alarm for the second time that morning.  It was Sunday, and Sunday usually meant sleeping late, a decadent brunch, and spending time relaxing with her family and/or her gorgeous boyfriend until she had to get herself prepared for another week of school and volleyball.

But this was not a typical Sunday.

It was much, much earlier than she might usually awaken on a Sunday, because today, the team was having the final day of their serving intensive.  Volleyball practice on a Sunday was unusual, but not unheard of.  What made this one really challenging was that they had been asked to report to the gym at eight o'clock in the morning.

Hence why Nakano had snoozed her alarm twice already, and was currently lightly grumbling to herself about the fact that she did not smell any form of brunch or breakfast in the offing - decadent or otherwise.  Knowing that grumbling would not make food appear or give her more time to get ready, the girl dragged herself from her bed and into the bathroom to get the day started.  Come on girl, she chided herself, you need to be up to the challenge!

She moved quickly through her morning routine, hurrying to get ready as she really did not want to be late.  This was going to be a very full Sunday for the strawberry blonde.  A long Sunday practice, followed by a run into Sendai to pick up Kags from the station and get him home, followed almost immediately by getting herself home, seeing her parents off for their date night, and going over to Kei's to spend a little time with him.  I've missed him, she thought, even though we really only spent one full day apart, when you get right down to it.  But not spending time with him at practice every day has been...lonely.  I know that in the future, there's likely to be times when we simply cannot be together as much as we are now.  College will bring its own challenges, and who knows what directions life will take us.  I'm going to enjoy all the togetherness I can get while I've got the opportunity.

She bustled into the kitchen, packing up the onigiri Coach Ukai had asked her to make for the team lunch today.  She grabbed one for herself, munching on it as she got everything together.  She'd made three kinds - salted cod roe, tuna mayo, and ham and egg,  By luck of the draw, she'd grabbed a ham and egg one, chuckling as she'd gotten her desired breakfast food after all.  Kiyoko was making nagashi somen for the group, while Yachi was providing fruit sandwiches.  A cold lunch on a cold December Sunday, but it would be a fun one.  Sharing a meal with the team was always a good time, and she had no doubt it would be so today, even with only half of the first year crew in attendance.

Just as she was about to head out of the kitchen and towards the front door, Nakano's mom came downstairs.  "Hey, honey!  Bundle up, it's cold outside!"

"Mom?  What are you doing up?"

Emiko grinned at her daughter.  "Your Dad is taking me out to dinner, so I promised him breakfast in bed."

"Lucky guy," Nakano groused, "I wish I'd gotten breakfast in bed."  The two ladies laughed.  "Remind Dad I need him to come get me spot on at two o'clock, or we'll be late picking up Tobio."

"He'll be there.  Have a good practice, Naka-chan."

"Thanks Mom!  See you later!"

Nakano moved briskly - her mom was right, it was cold outside - and she knew she was leaving a little later than she probably should have.  She did not want to make Tadashi wait for her in the cold.  Before long, she spotted the freckle-faced boy, and waved enthusiastically.

Yamaguchi returned her wave just as eagerly.

"Good morning, Yams!" Nakano called cheerfully, "So, how did it go last night?"