# "片思い" ⤷ itto

❝ i can always count on you ❞

 selected route ; 片思い (unrequited love)

. selected route ; 片思い (unrequited love)

arataki itto . hanamizaka heroic

. scenario - in which you have been feelings for itto but he's too much of an idiot to notice (tengu! reader)

. music - somewhere only we know : keane

.

ARATAKI ITTO IS too much of an idiot for his own good at times.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! That hurts!"

Itto hissed with pain every time you attempted to apply the cleaning solution to his wounds, the cuts that were inflicted upon him when he started an unnecessary fight for your sake.

What happened was— a group of people were picking on you due to your appearance, of the tengu mask that rests atop your head. Though the mask itself was a source of pride for you, it often more trouble than not amongst some of the less friendly people around Inazuma City.

So when they began yelling some nasty comments at you, Itto (the leader of your misfit gang) confronted them and ended up getting beat up in your place instead.

You had told him that it wasn't worth the fight and that you weren't worth all of this mess but he insisted otherwise.

"You would've ended up hurt! What leader would I be if I just allowed for my people got hurt like that?"

You knew he was being reasonable in that sense yet, it didn't quell the anxiety in you. Nor did it help you try to ease Itto out of your thoughts as somehow, you had completely and utterly fallen in love with this idiot. Though, you were still rational enough to see that he would never think of you as more than a friend. Nor would he ever see past the subtle hints you dropped for him.

"Just stay still, will you?" You decided not to say much more, directing your focus at the task at him to clean and patch up his wound.

Always, he threw himself in danger for your sake. He was entirely reckless and headstrong to a fault. Even so, he was able to act on heroism because of this recklessness. One could even say it was selfless of him to throw himself in harm's way to protect others but in all honesty, he doesn't think too much on it. He truly believes himself as capable of overcoming any task thrown at him.

All that you mattered to you was that you owed him your life. Without him, your life would be without purpose and meaning. That alone is enough to drive you to remain by his side.

But then that familiar bittersweet feeling returns.

You've grown accustomed to it yet you found yourself growing weary each time. The rapid heart palpitations, the way he made you feel electrifying, the way your body warmed up whenever he smiled at you—

To then remember that he will never see you as more than a friend.

You have no one. No family, no relatives. The friends you have were all thanks to your association to Arataki Itto. Without him, you had nothing— you were nothing. And without him, you would've continued to wander the streets of Inazuma City aimlessly, being ridiculed and treated like a heathen on the face of Teyvat. He made you whole, feel worthy of love.

But was that too much? Was that too selfish of you to want in return? Why is that you love this man so much?

Because he cares me more than anyone else.

The words reminded yourself of your loyalty to him— even if he hurt you unintentionally.

You love him, to the extent that you were willing to dedicate everything for him. Sickening, you thought to yourself. All for a man who didn't see you as anything remotely close to a lover.

Thoughts then drifted to what you could've been if he had returned your feelings.

You often fantasized about this alternative, if he had noticed and confessed to you that he loved you all the same. The boundless joy he brought at the rumble of his laughter; the gleam of warmth at his smile which rivaled the sun in its glory. Or the way his eyes sparkled whenever he conducted his schemes. His heroic acts that made your heart swell with an innocent love you thought you had long lost.

Of course, fantasy is meant to be a diversion from reality. You were humoring yourself to this alternative to occupy the weary emotions of unrequited love.

"(y/n)? You're spacing out again— Ow! Ow! Okay! I'm sorry!" You unintentionally jabbed at his wound with the cotton covered in disinfectant, snapping out of your thoughts at his incessant yelling.

"There," you pulled away, not apologizing for your accidental jab. You should've but that was part of the image you built for yourself— this tough persona that apologized for nothing. Another reason why you could never tell him how you felt— it was disingenuous. This version of you that he knew was merely trying to show off, to cover up the fragile version.

"Thanks (y/n)! I can always count on you!" His comment stung your heart like poison dripping onto an open wound. It's the fact that he trusts you, he cares so much about you— but not enough for him to love you in return.

"Yeah..." You felt the words leave you, it was empty but he didn't pick up on your half-hearted reply. Perhaps he wasn't observant enough to see through your persona.

"Alright! Now that I am all patched up, let's go find some lunch!"

You sighed, shaking your head but said nothing. You followed him diligently, never voicing any of your concern. It would contrast with the image you've created with yourself after all.

Another day, you said to yourself. Maybe he will change his feelings.

Optimism truly is a poison to defeated minds.

BAD ENDING

° NEXT UP, ZHONGLI / REX LAPIS