# "スターライト" ⤷ dainsleif

❝ i would cross a thousand worlds to come back to you ❞

. selected route ; スターライト (starlight)

dainsleif . bough keeper

. scenario - (part two of under the stars : requested by many) in which dainsleif finally returns from his mission to you.

. music - merry-go-round : joe hisaishi

tw. none

.

HIS TURQUOISE EYES were full of starlight and hope. Dainsleif was determined to meet you again, crossing through the many skies of Teyvat to see you once more. It was his promise to you; that of which he was determined to keep.

"I would cross a thousand words to come back to you."

His promise to you, his sworn promise made by the stars. He would return, one day.

Love is a compelling force that even Dainsleif hadn't fathomed before. It is a foreign feeling, the flight of butterflies that danced in his stomach; the rosy tint that spreads from the tips of his ears to his cheeks; the way he smiled whenever he was around you— it was love and he never wanted to let that go. He wished to keep you safe, to protect you from everything.

But duty called and he was gone.

Dainsleif pledged under an oath but the stars that he would return one day, to spend his days with you. He asked for nothing more, nothing less.

Amidst his travels across the nations of Teyvat, Dainsleif often found himself think of you. How were you doing these days? Are you eating well? Have you gone out and explore the wilderness of Mondstadt yet?

Questions swirled his mind as he journeyed his way through Teyvat. He thought of you daily, constantly wishing upon the comets in the sky to keep you safe— to wish that you were doing well. Days passed and he would slowly finish his quest of exploring the causation of catastrophe. Dainsleif found himself becoming increasingly more feverish to see you again.

Thus upon finishing his mission to stop another insurrection in Teyvat, he immediately returned to your home. Hidden by viridescent groves and foliage, it was fairly isolated from the rest of Mondstadt as you had been kicked from the Church and therefore, out of main city. It had been a year since he had last seen you though to Dainsleif, it felt like yesterday having lived for hundreds of years due to his accursed immortality.

A year, to him, felt like mere seconds but having left you in that span of time— it felt like eternity. You remained the sole focus of his mind, the center of his world.

Dainsleif paused before the doors to your small cottage, wondering how he should announce himself. His gloved hand drew close to the wooden doorknob, thinking through a proper introduction before he heard the rustling of leaves behind him.

"Dainsleif?"

His hand halted, pulling away from the door to look over his shoulder where he saw you standing with a weave basket full of sweet flowers. He was awestruck, at a lost for words to express the complexity of emotions swirling within him. He opened his mouth to speak yet no words were uttered as you dropped your basket and threw your arms around him.

"Welcome home..."

Home was with you. Home will always be with you. Though his homeland was destroyed, torn and ruined, he found salvation in your arms. It was you who showed him what it means to love another, to show him compassion and sympathy in a cold, desolate world. You gifted him light in the darkness of the sky, you are the stars that glittered above.

"I'm home..." Dainsleif uttered quietly, his eyes fluttering shut as his arms snaked around your back and held you close. "I missed you..." He admitted quietly, leaning into you.

"Gods— I thought... Dainsleif..." You rambled through your thoughts, shaking your head at him. He cracked a small smile at you, placing his chin atop your head. "I'm here... I'm home..."

A wellspring of emotions erupted within you. Tears brimmed your waterline, blurring your vision. You buried your head into his clothes, crying quietly. "Welcome back..."

His hands left your waist and cupped your cheeks. Twinkling eyes full of the starlight bore into yours, admiration pooled in the lakes of opalescent turquoise. The lullabies of a thousand winds echoed around the two of you, incandescent fireflies dancing in the wind.

"Thank you for keeping your promise..." You mumbled into his chest, nuzzling closer to him. A low chuckle resonated within him, making his body rumble which elicited a smile to tug at the corners of your lips.

"I swore I would cross a thousand worlds for you, did I not...?" Dainsleif jested, brushing through your tresses of hair with his fingers. You smiled against him, feeling his finger gently massage your scalp to ease you.

His finger bumped against cold metal to which he pulled away to lift the chain, seeing the pendant gift he had gifted you a year ago. His eyes widened slightly in surprise. "You're... still wearing it...."

You pouted slightly. "Of course I would still wear it. Why wouldn't I? It reminds me of you." Your hand brushed over the stone, smiling softly at it.

Dainsleif stared at you, feeling his face grow warmer, his cheeks turning pinkish with a soft glow. "I love you..." The words slipped past his lips in a hushed urgency.

You returned his sentiment, leaning against his chest and looking up at the man beside you, who held you so dear.

"I love you too."

GOOD ENDING

author's note

author's note.

bad ending - he doesn't come back for you

here's the long-awaited part two to that really stupid long oneshot i wrote in one sitting

thank you for reading as usual! take care and i hope to see you guys in the next oneshot <3

° NEXT UP . ALBEDO