23

The relationship isn't about control. It's about giving people the choice and freedom to be in your life.

************

She stared at the phone in her hand.

Was making Nathan mad and ruining her golden chance at happiness worth trying to find Sam.

She knew in her heart it was not about finding him, it was about closure.

She knew that they had unsaid things left between them.

She knew he was reacting this way because he still felt he had some attachment towards her.

She knew where he was. It was the only place that came to her mind. He had told her so many times that he would go to that place whenever he got time off from his job or the world weighed down on him.

She fished out her tab from under the cushions on the sofa next to her. She booked her flight.

Her flight was in four hours so she had two hours to reach the airport.

She wasn't going to stay long so she didn't have to pack a big suitcase. She went to her bedroom and pulled out her duffel bag from under her bed. She packet shorts and spaghetti tops. She even wore the same. She packed a bag of her toiletries. She only liked using her shampoos and conditioners. She packed her undergarments and two pairs of bikinis. She had them for such a long time but she hardly ever got to wear them.

She put her passport inside her purse and other random things here and there.

She still had thirty minutes to leave her house. She texted Van that she had to leave for an international flight. It was the last moment call.

She didn't tell him what for because she didn't want another person to tell her what she was doing was so wrong. She was old enough to know what is right and wrong.

She thought about Nathan again and her heart ached. She wanted to ask him to come with her. She wanted him to be her moral support. She wanted him to be her strength.

She realized she had to do something before she left. She grabbed a sheet of paper from the script of a film she had rejected which was lying nearby.

Since the words were printed on one side and the other side was empty, she reversed the side and started writing.

By the time she was on the third sheet she knew it was all that she wanted to write. She put the pen down and folded it and stuffed it inside the pockets of her jeans.

She told Gracie to close the door and tell Van to pick her up from Nathan's house after he grabbed her stuff from her house.

She took a cab and gave him the address.

The cab driver was shocked as she sat inside the car. The poor guy couldn't believe that it was The Kayden sitting there.

"Big fan," he stuttered as he looked at her from the mirror while he kept on driving.

She smiled at him and said, "that's nice to know."

The car drive was filled with some sort of symphony which played in the background.

As the cab stopped in front of Nathan's house, she got out and paid the cabbie.

She took a photograph with him and wrote him an autograph.

She knocked on his door and the door opened.

To say that she was startled as the door opened and the person who opened it came into the view, would be the understatement of a century.

Alexa was standing there in his house doing god knows what.

"What are you doing here?" Alexa asked her at the same time as she asked her the same thing.

"Well it's Nathan's house so I came here to meet him," Kayden replied.

"Same, girl," replied Alexa.

They stood awkwardly at the door. Kayden didn't step in and Alexa didn't invite her in.

She mentally rolled her eyes and walked inside his house. This was Nathan's house, she didn't need some Tom, Dick, and Harry's permission to get inside.

"I'm just gonna use the loo till he gets home," Kayden said.

"Yeah take a left from the stairs and yeah," Alexa replied.

Kayden rolled her eyes as she turned her back to her and started climbing the stairs. She turned around and said to her, "Can you grab me a glass of water?"

"Sure, bestie," Alexa said. As soon as she turned around to go to the kitchen, Kayden made a right turn towards Nathan's bedroom. She twisted the doorknob and got inside. She went straight to his bathroom and on the top shelf where he kept his body wash. She placed her note next to it.

She came out of the loo and locked his door. Then she peered from the side of the wall and saw that Alexa was looking down at her phone so she ran forwards and hid behind the wall. Then she walked down the stairs and it looked like she had come from the left side where Alexa had pointed her to go initially.

As she heard her footsteps, Alexa turned around and smiled at her. Kayden smiled back at her.

Alexa pointed at the glass of water that lay on the kitchen slab for her to drink. She shook her head at her, "I'm not thirsty anymore and Van has come out so I have to leave."

"So soon? I thought you wanted to talk to Nathan," Alexa asked innocently.

"It's alright you can talk to him today. I'll call him later," Kayden said as she walked out of the house.

Right around the corner of the road, Van was standing outside leaning against the car. Pap's swarmed her as soon as she stepped foot outside his house.

"Kayden, walk slowly. Give us some pictures. Are you and Nathan dating?" They kept on throwing questions like that.

She wondered to herself, you have to take pictures, how am I supposed to give you pictures?

Nathan and her dating? Not a bad rumor.

It's a good rumor till it's her name in the headline and not somebody else's. She smirked to herself as she thought that. She smiled for the cameras, as the pap asked her again if she was dating him and waved at him.

Let the world think she's dating him. She didn't care.

She thought about Nathan's reaction when he would get to know about these shenanigans of hers.

After that last phone call, she didn't know if he would be happy?

She knew Alexa was waiting for him at his house. If she wanted to be insecure she won't have left his place. She could doubt him. She could be a mad mess.

But what use would that be?

Trust is built and earned.

If he wished to let her down, this would be his moment.

The relationship isn't about control. It's about giving people the choice and freedom to be in your life.

It was his choice to choose her. If he didn't want to, then also it would be okay.

Sure she would be sad but not as sad as she would be if she found a year later that he never wanted to be with her in the first place and that his heart was somewhere else.

Van opened the car door for her. She thanked him and got inside.

"Where are we going to ma'am?" Van asked her.

She looked at him confusedly, "not we. Only me. I'm going."

"Ha. As if. You're not going anywhere unprotected Kay."

She rolled her eyes at him as if she was mad at him but the smile on her face told other ways.

"Tulum," she finally said as they reached the airport.