17

They devoured their food in silence.

So much of, ahem, exercise had surely increased their appetite.

She was a slow eater while Nathan was a fast one.

She was chewing on her food when she realized that some food was missing from her plate. She let it go.

She pretended to have closed her eyes whilst she chewed on her food. She saw his hand creep into her plate. She opened her eyes and at jet speed slapped his hand away.

He widened his eyes and looked at her. Shocked that she did that.

She narrowed her eyes at him and smirked," hands to yourself Banks."

"You weren't saying that a few moments back" he retorted.

She gagged on her food as he said that. He laughed but as he saw her choking on it, he got up from the bed and poured water into the glass which rested on his bedside table. He came back to hand her the glass only to see her laughing at him, "gotcha."

He rolled his eyes at her and drank the glass of water himself.

"You don't deserve it," he said.

He huffed as he sat down next to her.

He laid down on his back. She looked down at him with a cute smile.

Her smile was so addicting that even if he tried to not laugh at her, he ended up laughing.

She placed the tray on the floor and laid on her back alongside him. She turned to his side and observed him.

She looked at his long lashes and small eyes. Her eyes glided over his lips, ones she had kissed so many times in the span of such a short time. It's like he knew she was looking at him, he wetted his lips. She looked into his eyes and he was surely looking at her sideways.

"So you were saying, take it slow?" She started the much-awaited convo.

He nodded his head.

"Nathan I'm gonna have to know what exactly we're doing here?" She asked him.

He turned to her side and placed his left hand under his head as he laid his head on top of it.

"I like you. Like a lot," he said.

She smiled stupidly at him.

"Okay," she replied.

He looked at her playfully, " I tell you I like you, and that's what you say? Okay?"

"Well is there a rule that I have to say it back just because you like me? Maybe I don't like you back?" She said to him, challenging him.

"Bullshit," he said.

She laughed and he laughed along with her.

The sound of her laughter was so addicting to him.

" But seriously, do you like me?" He asked her.

"Yes," she said not even wanting to pretend anymore.

"Good," he said.

"Oh really good is it?" She teased him.

"But I'm not dating you. Dating is weird and demanding and I don't know like a very bad concept. I just don't like that brand. I guess it's a branding issue with me. It feels like volatile shit. Like if I date somebody, I'm sure it's gonna end, and then I'll be miserable. Dating and breaking up are like synonyms with me," he said to her.

She rolled his eyes at him.

"What?" He asked her.

She again rolled his eyes at him.

"What?!" He rested his weight on his hand as he raised his body from the bed to look at her properly.

She again rolled her eyes.

"Okay that's enough, tell me what it is?" He asked her.

"You're so full of shit, Banks," she said to him.

"If my thinking is shitty, what fabulous idea do you have huh?" He asked her, not believing that she found him stupid.

"Okay how about we come to a truce. No dating okay. Let's be exclusive for each other yeah?" She asked him.

He pondered over the idea and then slowly nodded.

"That works for me," he said.

"Great," she said.

"Tomorrow I have an interview thingy with Sam," she said looking at her phone. Maybel had texted her that she had to go to promote her film with Sam again.

There was silence in the room after that.

"It's okay. I'm fine with it. It's your job and I trust you and I know you can handle him well enough. It's alright, do your job and never worry about me ever getting in your way," Nathan spoke up.

He pulled her by her waist into him. Her legs entangled in his and his hand rested on her back.

"You trust me? So soon?" She asked him. That word trust was terrifying to her. When Nathan said it, it made her freeze.

"Yes," he tucked her hair behind her ear.

"How?" She asked him again.

"You don't seem to believe me when I say that," he pointed out.

She shook her head, " it's not personal that I don't believe you. I just have a hard time dealing with that word. Trust is as good as a ghost. If it lingers it does bad things, if it doesn't exist, that's better."

He furrowed his eyes," I'm so sorry that you think like that but I promise you, one of these days I'm gonna change that mindset and make you trust me."

"It's gonna be hard Nathan. I don't wanna give you false hope. I might be looking happy right now which I am, but I could very easily pretend, and the worst part is I'm even pretending with myself so I don't know I'm hurting people because I don't even realize I'm doing it," she warned him.

"Don't you remember the first time we met, I understood you before you understood yourself? Don't worry baby, I'll be there to make you see those moments of truth that you even hide from yourself," he said to her as he kissed her forehead.

She closed her eyes. Something about what he said made her feel at home. When she got home she felt protected from prying eyes and camera flashes and harsh tweets.

That's the same feeling that she was feeling right now hibernating in his bed, wrapped up between his legs and arms.

She didn't say anything. She wanted to say something to make him feel the way she felt from his words but unlike him, she wasn't that expressive with words.

She was only expressive when she was acting other times she was as good as a sitting duck.

So she pulled him close, even tighter than Rose held Jack's hand.

She closed her eyes and before dozing off she muttered," Night" and nudged his cheek with her nose.

He smiled at her action. She was so cute.

She was a soft girl made razor-sharp by the cruelty of the world.

He knew that with the right type of love she would be able to trust him.

He was amazed at the versatility of this girl.

When they met for the first time he knew Kayden was a diamond in the rough, but today she was his Diamond wrapped up in velvet.

But what matters is that Kayden was a diamond, too shy to shine but when it did, it blinded everybody except him. He was a diamond keeper.