14

She felt the moment. Time was moving but neither was he or she.

************

"So tell me about yourself," Kayden asked realizing it was only fair she knew about him. They were beyond the territory of the awkwardness of asking the wrong questions anymore.

"What do you wanna know?" He challenged her to ask the question directly. He had already gotten to know her so well.

"Are you single?" She did it. If he wanted her to be direct, she wasn't going to shy away from it now.

"That's more like it baby," he said with a proud undertone.

She rolled her eyes at his egotistical manly behavior.

"If I was dating somebody don't you think she would be sitting here instead of you," he answered her question with a question of his own.

"One never fully understands men these days, you know," she retorted.

"Well same can be said about women," he gave her the side-eye.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked him.

"Well, what do you want me to make of the look that you were giving Sam? Behind the stage. You again evaded the question. Don't even think for a second you fooled me. You avoided the question" he gripped the steering wheel tighter.

She was shocked. She didn't even know him that well but he was already asking her questions like he had some kind of claim on her.

But she shushed her over-occupied self-righteous mind to try to grasp the meaning behind his words.

He was also meeting her properly for the first time and for him to see her with her ex would have been awkward and the memory spiral she went into, it would look like she was still into Sam and that made Nathan feel insecure, unsure, and maybe a little jealous.

"Communication is the key, they said. They weren't wrong. So Nathan for the next one minute, I'm gonna say certain things and if you like what I say, then react, if you don't then ignore it and drop me at my place," she said turning towards him completely and looking at the side of his head.

He licked his lips and gave her a curt nod.

" So Nathan, I want you to believe me when I say this, I am over Sam in every way possible. What you saw behind the scene was me feeling sad remembering the good things, bad things, because I don't know why but it still affects me when he comes in front of me. Do I want it to? Hell no! I want to stand, in front of him and not try to give a fuck. I genuinely want myself to be at a place, where he comes in front of me and I don't give a fuck that he's there. I don't feel anything except for sadness and sadness at the fact that I gave it so much. I'm not sad about the fact that I don't have him anymore. I'm sad at how much I gave him. When I look at him I see wasted time. That's all."

Her eyes were wide with raging words behind them and her hands were in the space between them as if trying to solidify the meaning behind each word.

"I believe you," he said, without even thinking. How could he not believe her, this was all that he had been dying to hear.

"I loved Alexa. She doesn't even acknowledge me so I also do that. Why should I worry about someone who doesn't give a fuck about me? But Sam does you know, he was looking at you Kay," he said.

" I know he was looking at me. I don't know what he thinks when he looks at me like that. Sometimes I wish I knew," she said honestly.

He stopped the car in front of a huge driveway. She saw James already walking towards them.