01

They didn't break up. They destroyed each other.

*************

She had always loved the lights.

Ever since she got the modeling assignment in Hong Kong when she was eighteen years old, she had loved every second of it, even when there was nothing to love about it.

Life in the lights isn't all that easy. Sometimes it gets tough, but so did she. Because you have to, right?

She grew up with no friends because she had always been traveling around the world with her mother to all the below poverty line countries, helping the needy. Her mother would help the little girls who had no means of education. She was a generic social worker, but the lights changed her physically as a person, scars ruined her image but still amidst all that her ideology remained the same. Her thoughts, they couldn't burn because they were hers.

She didn't go to school, she was homeschooled by her mom when they lived in London because that's where she grew up. That's the only place she could say she had a home. Until, Chicago.

Now she's a star. One of the biggest out there with directors dying to work with her, brands begging her to be their brand ambassador.

She loves three things the most- acting, dancing, and gym.

Currently waiting on the sets of Everyone Dances Once In A life Time, for her co-star to show up, she went into a reminiscent spiral of how she had landed herself into this role.

She remembered signing up for this film because she believed that it would be a good musical story for children and
adult audience to watch, but who is she kidding, she only signed this film for him.

He is the lead actor in this film opposite her also her ex-boyfriend who she had dated for eight years for all of it to go to shit.

Sam Hardin shows up fifteen minutes late. She locks eyes with him from the middle of the room where she was sitting on her chair waiting for him.

He walks towards her.

"What's up?" she asks him.

"I got stuck having coffee with my dad. He was pissed off about how slow the director is going with this film. It's already taken three years to shoot, he should be responsible enough. I have other
projects too," he says in a frustrated tone, ruffling up his hair.

"Well yeah he is going slow, I mean but maybe that's just his creative process. But this is my first time working with him, but you've worked with him before right and that film was the first blockbuster of your career right?" she asks, low-key reminding him not to bitch about the director.

"Yeah it even got me an Oscar nom but I didn't win it though," he says giving her a soft smile.

He lets that smile linger on for a second too long but she evades her eyes from his deep blue ones.

Everybody starts buzzing around on the set and all the lights turn on. The film was going to be high on VFX and CGI so a lot would be done by the crew but today they had to shoot a scene in which Sam will move from one corner of the building to another building with the help of a rope that they found in this junkie building and she has to wrap her legs around his waist to balance the weight and also give the audience a tinge of chemistry because of their proximity.

A sexy escapade, as he liked to call it.

The director calls them over to where the rope is hanging and tells Sam to jump on the terrace and hold his position. He explains everything, gives a few notes on their expressions, and goes behind his
camera to say action.

"And Action!" he yells.

Sam starts jumping the stairs and she follows him but the supporting goon actor catches her foot so she fights the well-practiced sequence and hits his head with her foot making him fall off the
stairs and she pulls out the gun from the waistband of her tracksuit and shoots the other goons that were closing on the distance between them.

She double-checks for fifteen seconds if any more were coming and then she climbs up the stairs and runs towards Sam with an expression of determination reflecting in her eyes which she was sure to make the audience see in her eyes on the screen. Kayden was known to express emotion from her eyes.

Often people asked her how was she able to do it?, she had only one answer for them, she made it a note to always add that into her performance because as simple as that. If she wanted it to show, she had to make a note to do it.

"Good job, killing those motherfuckers," Sam responded and soon she started to wrap her legs around his waist as they were preparing for the flight that was about to happen.

She was amazed at how good their acting was going on because not even once had the director yelled cut at them. This was going to be her longest continuous shot.
But she had said it too soon.

Because the moment they reached near the edge of the building, Sam freaked out. He suddenly stepped back and dropped the rope from his hand. His sudden movement ruined Kayden's weight balance and she fell on her ass.

"What the f...," she said, still shocked like what the hell happened.

"No no no no, I can't do this. I can't jump from the building. I don't trust this freaking harness. I'm gonna die. I can't do this shit. Fuck! I can't," Sam kept on pacing around the room, pulling on his hair.

He looked at Kayden who had by now recovered from the fall and was sitting cross-legged on the floor staring at him.

He went near the edge once again and looked down and once again started with his rant, "holy shit. I can't."

The director came running up the terrace and explained everything. He even went into the minor details about how this all is put together by engineers that only Elon Musk would hire to make his cars (not though). None of those things settled his doubts, she could see it. The director decided to give a five-minute break. When he saw Kayden sitting on the floor, he came closer to her and said, " talk to him, will you? Please help me out. I have to finish this scene today. This was the only scene he's postponed for such a long time. If we wrap it up today. The shooting is finished and I can start mixing the film up and then probably we'll be able to meet its deadline of release."

Even though Sam and the director were co-producers on this film, somehow she was the responsible one for this situation. If we go by facts, who invests the money, respects the time, but here she was the one who was respecting time.

She knew she would have to talk to him, not for him, but for her. Because she desperately needed to be done with this film so she could get away from him.

She stood up from her spot on the floor walked to him and said, "just look into my eyes when we're flying and don't look anywhere else, you won't fall."

She felt like he was aware of every nuance in her words and she hated that she was thinking like that because she didn't want there to be any hidden feelings behind it but it's hard. Unloving somebody after loving them for eight years is hard.

Break up is a very small word. When eight years of your life are laying in a garbage chute and the whole of your life flashes in front of you and somebody asks you what happened to your relationship of eight years? What do you say? A breakup?

No. There has to be some other word.

She knows the word.

Destruction.

They didn't break up. They destroyed each other.

Not we. Only her.

Because she's destroyed. He, maybe not so much.

Before she can let herself entangle more in her thoughts, he accepts her offer, "okay."

"Alright," she responds.

She waves her hand to the director who was already looking over at them and she shows him a thumbs up, he gets into motion pretty quickly at her action.

He starts rolling the cameras, all the lights turn up and Kayden latches onto Sam's body.

And just like she had said, he stared straight into her eyes as they flew and he didn't fall, not even once.