// Sometimes Maybe, Always //

A/N - Hi, another day, another situation....well, enjoy 

You and Harry weren't exactly the two most superstitious people in the world, and yet the night before your wedding wasn't the most ideal time to test that belief. Giving into the much-upheld tradition, the both of you decided to spend the night apart.

"I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" Harry plants a delicate kiss on your forehead. You tighten your grip around his waist and tuck your head further and further under the sheets. Your fiancé laughs at you, and his voice echoes in his darkened hotel room as he says, "C'mon kitten, don't make me kick you out."

"You wouldn't dare–"

A knock sounds at the door. Then, a familiar voice. "Harry? You awake, mate?"

You immediately bolt upright and sit up straight against the headboard, and Harry scrambles to pull on a t-shirt. The door swings open to reveal the silhouette of–

"Jeff." Your soon-to-be-husband's close friend and agent.

"Sorry to disturb you guys," Jeff murmurs as he takes a seat on the desk chair close to the foot of the bed, while Harry practically sprints to press on the lights. "Y/N. Looking lovely as always."

Your cheeks heat up mostly out of embarrassment than anything else. You had caught a glimpse of yourself in the bathroom mirror of your own hotel suite before you snuck over to Harry's, and to put it simply, you were thankful there would be an entire crew to help you create that Natural Bride look tomorrow morning.

Harry barely gets a chance to settle back into bed with you when Jeff clears his throat. "Also, uh, Y/N... aren't you supposed to be, uh, not with Harry tonight?"

"Yeah," you say sheepishly, feeling Harry's steady hand running up and down your thigh. "I was just about to leave."

Jeff lets out a relieved sigh. "Oh, okay then. Good night."

A beat of silence passes before the realization dawns on you. "Oh, you're waiting for me to leave," you whisper underneath your breath. Harry holds your leg down just as you were about to swing it over the side of the bed. "Haz, it's bad luck."

But he's not looking at you. "What's wrong?" His viridescent eyes narrow at the stack of papers in the older man's hands. "Whatever's going on, you can say it in front of Y/N."

Jeff shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "I think you should go get some sleep Y/N."

Harry doesn't waver for a second as he repeats, "Whatever's going on, you can say it in front of Y/N. She's about to become my wife, remember?"

Jeff bites the inside of his cheek and remarks, "Like I could forget."

It's your turn to frown. "What's that supposed to mean?" You had always seen Jeff as more than part of Harry's team. You saw him as a buddy, maybe even as a brother. Harry trusted him with his entire career, and you trusted Harry.

But now, your "buddy" couldn't even look at you. Harry runs his tongue over his bottom lip, "Well?"

Jeff has no other choice but to toss the pile of stapled papers over onto the bed, where Harry immediately seizes and reassembles them on his lap. You lean in closer to your fiancé as you hear Jeff say, "It's just business, that's all. You know how it is."

Harry sucks in a sharp breath and snaps, "You've got to be kidding me, Jeff. There's no way."

The older man shrugs. "It's in your contract, mate. This happens to everybody. Hell, Bieber and Baldwin just signed one. It's nothing personal."

Bieber and Baldwin? Now you were officially confused. You lean over Harry's shoulder to peek down at what the fuss was all about. A bunch of bolded words in Times New Roman that you quickly scanned over...two dotted lines on the bottom of the page for signatures...and in all caps, bolded and underlined–

"Prenuptial agreement," you breathe. The words felt foreign in your mouth.

As if sensing your curiosity, Harry averts his eyes from Jeff for a moment to look at you and explain, "It's a Prenup. It's an agreement that soon-to-be-spouses sign in the event of a divorce."

Jeff cuts in, "Harry, that's not–!"

"We're not getting a divorce!" You exclaim, intertwining one of your hands with Harry's. "We haven't even gotten married yet, and you're already planning for us to break up?"

The older man sighs and pushes his chair back, clearly frustrated at the lack of cooperation. He still has his eyes fixed on your fiancé when Harry says, in a tense tone, "Let me speak with Y/N alone, mate. I'll see you tomorrow."

The second that the bedroom door shuts behind Jeff, you're arguing with Harry. "I'm not signing that," you state firmly, "I hope you know that."

He traces the engagement ring around your finger absent-mindedly, reading the documents sprawled out around the both of you. You can't believe that he's actually reading them.

"Haz."

"Just a second, doll."

"Harry." This makes him look up at you within a heartbeat. "I'm not signing that."

Your fiancé bites the inside of his cheek before saying, "I know. Heard you say that the first time too." But then as soon as he's left you speechless, he's turning his attention straight back down to the papers.

You can't believe–

"Hey, don't do that," Harry sighs as you gather the entire stack of documents in your hands. He tries tugging on your hands to get you to loosen your grip. "Stop it, don't do that, doll. Quit it."

"I don't understand why we aren't throwing these out right now!" You can't help but exclaim. "Jeff had no right coming here and giving these to us."

Harry grabs the heavy stack from you before you have the chance to throw them off the bed. "Actually," he corrects, "he has every right. He's just lookin' out for me, that's all."

You barely hold back your laughter. "Look out for you? Maybe if we were getting a divorce, then yeah. But we're not."

"I know that," Harry snaps, tearing his hands through his hair. His wedding band reflects back a line of light that stabs at your heart. "Don't you think I know that? Jeff's just thinking ahead and–"

"Our wedding is tomorrow!" Harry winces slightly from your change in tone. "Tomorrow, Haz. The only thinking ahead I'm doing is how hard I'm going to throw the bouquet tomorrow so Gemma catches it. Nobody should be planning for a divorce."

Harry's voice is quiet. "Can you just listen to me for a minute?" Once he sees you nod, he continues, "Nobody is planning for a divorce, alright? I love you more than I deserve to, and there isn't a binding contract in the world that could ever make me leave you."

A huge sigh of relief escapes you and you move to sit closer to him, interlacing your fingers together with his. "At first I thought that this would sort out all of the logistics for us," Harry confesses. "And I thought it'll secure our properties and holdings..."

"But?"

"But we're never breaking up," he says firmly and you press kisses alongside his knuckles. "I'll call Jeff later to tell him to scrape all of his ideas out."

You let out a small yawn as you say, "I hate fighting with you. Especially on the night before our wedding. That's gotta be some kind of bad luck."

"Better not risk anymore, then," Harry kisses you one last time before pulling himself off of you and the bed. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"I'll be the one in white."