Chapter 73

"What do you want from me this time, Steven?" I said the first thing that popped into my head, for a few moments standing completely still and in shock, staring at my long lost old friend.

"Why would you even think that I'm here because I want something?" he narrowed his eyebrows, however, a wide genuine smile appeared on his wrinkled face.

"Cause that's what you always did duhh." I scoffed and jokingly rolled my eyes before almost running towards the old guy who immediately pulled me into a tight hug.

"You still have hair." was all I was able to say before my eyes started filling up with tears.

After a few beautiful reuniting moments, he slowly pulled me out of the hug, however, his hands stayed on the sides of my shoulders as he looked me up and down. His eyes were sparkling and he looked ... proud? Something like that.

"What?" I chuckled and quickly wiped off some tears that managed to leave my eyes as he kept looking at me without saying anything.

"I'm so happy for you, Emily. And Bucky of course. It would be a crime if you two didn't end up together." he said, making me look down at my feet with a wide smile on my face.

"Did he ... I mean ... Does he know you're here?" I asked.

"If Bucky knows?" Steve chuckled shortly as if I asked him a question with an obvious answer. "Yeah, yeah he actually invited me to come. Sam helped him to somehow get my new address and ... I could never miss the wedding of my best friend and the girl who saved him." he tapped my shoulder, the last few words making me blush slightly.

"This is just ... I didn't expect that." I let out a short laugh and rubbed my face with both of my hands. "I hope I can get you a free chair since you know there is a seating chart and that crap ..."

"That's okay. I'm pretty sure I'm on the list."  Steve nodded confidently.

"Well I admire your confidence but ..." I mumbled and made my way to the desk with Pepper's planner on it. I turned a few pages and ran my finger down the guest list.

My eyes widened. "Stephen Rogerson? Seriously? Could you be even more creative?" I shook my head, laughing at how was I not able to tell that the person who I never heard of before, ended up on the guest list without either me or Pepper acknowledging it.

"Secret identity, you know." he said while sitting down on the chair, clearly tired from standing.

Once again he looked me up and down. "You look beautiful Emily. Bucky is a very very lucky man."

"Be careful Steven, you know I have a thing for older men ..." I joked before slightly tilting my head to the side and gave him a truthful smile. "Thank you Rogers. Really."

"Well ... I'll leave you alone now so you can ..." Steve started and slightly struggled to get up but then clapped his hands and walked to the door.

"No wait." I said before even realising it.

"Almost gave me a heart attack." he chuckled slightly, putting his hand on the left side of his chest and stopped walking as his other hand was already resting on the doorknob.

"This time I might be the one to ask you for a favour." I took a deep breath.

"Okay that's fair." he nodded and let me continue.

"You know ... I don't have my dad here and it's kinda ... shut I'm just gonna ask. Would you walk me down the aisle? I know it's like ... last minute request but I honestly feel like I don't want anyone else to do it. I'll either do it alone, which is fine but ... if you are free and uhm ..." I got slightly nervous as he didn't answer my question even after I stopped babbling in the middle of my sentence.