Chapter 36

"I'll move to the windows in the kitchen. I'm done here." I said and picked up the box with tape and balloons.

I tried to avoid their looks, expecially Bucky's. I speed walked past them and went straight to the kitchen, closing the door behind me.

I let the box fall out of my hands, which made a bit of a mess.

"Emily? Can I come in?" Pepper asked carefully, clearly standing by the closed door.

"No." I responded but I knew that no matter what I would say, she would walk in anyway. And it was her kitchen so I really couldn't stop her.

"What was that?" she asked and closed the door after walking in.

"That's what I've been wanting to ask. Seriously, what is he doing here?!" I asked and ran fingers through my hair slightly frustrated.

"I told you, Morgan invited him. I don't know why is it such a big deal ..." Pepper said, clearly confused by my behaviour.

"Because it is a big deal, okay?!" I snapped and kicked the box that was lying on the floor to the other side of the kitchen. "And I don't wanna talk about it. So please just ... leave me alone to finish with the balloons and then I'll just go." I said and slowly started picking up balloons, blowing in one of them, in the back of my mind kinda hoping I would just run out of air or something ... basically anything to get out of here.

"Don't even think about it Emily. You can't do this to Morgan. And I swear if I have to see her crying because of your ... behaviour  ... again ..." Pepper said a little more quietly, just in case if Morgan was near by.

"Her friends will come anyway! She doesn't need me here ..." I tried to find excuses, mainly to make myself believe that I was right.

"A friend. One." she corrected me. "Trust me, she really really wants you here ..." she continued, this time with way more soft voice and wanted to leave the kitchen.

"But why did she ask him to come early?" I asked before she could leave and nodded towards the direction of the living room.

"Putting on the lights or something ..." Pepper responded, not entirely sure what to say.

"I could do that. Why didn't she just ask me?" I protested and sat on the kitchen counter, blowing in another balloon.

"Why does it matter? She likes him, okay? No matter what you and Bucky have, they are friends now. ... Emily, she calls him Uncle Bucky. Clearly, you have no right to make her let him go just because of some drama in your relationship." she said before opening the door and walking out of the kitchen.

However, the door didn't close completely so I was able to see into the living room. I could see Bucky, holding up Morgan who was standing on his shoulders and was trying to tape the lights on the ceiling.

I didn't even realise that I was staring at them until Bucky slowly turned his head towards my way. It surprised me so much that I let go of the balloon that I was holding in my hand which ended up making a loud farting noise when the air was blowing out of it.

Bucky bit his bottom lip, trying not to laugh as I tried to catch the balloon and ended up falling off the counter.

"Why Emilia ... why are you like this ..." I mumbled to myself, embarrassed of my existence.

As I was laying on the floor, I turned my head towards the living room once again. Oh well how do I say fuck my life in a nice way?

Bucky looked up at Morgan and said something to her. I couldn't hear what but she nodded excitedly and carefully he put her back down on her own feet. Immediately she ran off, god knows where.