Chapter 35

You ever wake up and feel okay but then a second later you remember that everything in your life is far from okay and you just wanna fall back asleep? Because same.

I was lying on my belly so after a few moments, when I realised that I was hungry, I rolled over on my back. I put my hands on my chest. Something was off.

I narrowed my eyebrows and opened one of my eyes looking down at my body.

"WHAT THE-..." I screamed in horror as I noticed a big green face looking and smiling at me.

After a few moments I was finally fully awake. I let out a deep relieved breath when I realised that the green creep on me was just a blanket with a motive of Shrek. Don't get me wrong, I love Shrek, BUT ON TV and NOT on top of me when I wake up.

But wait ... where did the blanket come from? Oh shit ...

"Morgan Stark how the f...flip-flop did you find me?" I said and sat up to see the little girl that was sitting on my left, on her own blanket, surrounded by craft supplies, more clearly.

"I was playing around." she mumbled while glueing something on a piece of paper without even looking at me.

I smiled slightly. I missed her. So so much and it only hit me now. "Thanks for borrowing me your blanket." I said and pulled my legs to my chest, wrapping my arms around them so I was able to rest my head on the knees. She didn't respond and still didn't look at me. Ouch.

"Did you tell your mommy that I'm here?" I asked. She shook her head as a no, which made me let out a relived sigh. My tiny sweet chipmunk always did the right thing.

"Thank you." I mumbled as I observed her crafting skills coming to life. "What are-..." before I could finish my question, she spoke up.

"Aunt Emily, are you angry with me?" she asked, slightly tilted her head and finally looked at me. She seemed genuinely sad and it hurt me to see her like that.

"I could never be angry with you silly!" I assured her quickly and crawled closer to her. "Why would a thought like that ever cross your beautiful mind, huh?" I asked and put my arm around her little shoulders so I could hold her closer. Almost immediately she wrapped her arms around my waist and buried her face into my jacket.

"You didn't call me back. And when I tried to call you again you didn't pick up. And when mommy went to your house, she didn't let me come with her." she mumbled as her grip tightened.

I bit my bottom lip and closed my eyes since her head was pressed right on the hurt chest area. Pain killers were definitely not working anymore since the pain was so strong that it made my eyes water slightly.

However, I couldn't tell her to move away. I just couldn't.

"I promise that I wanted to call you but my phone ... it broke. I was driving and ... somehow it ended up ... falling from my hands, out of the car." I felt so bad for lying to her but how was I supposed to explain the real situation?

"I know you have more phones. I saw them at your house." she said, finally moving her head to look up at me.

"Yeah but I have them just because I keep breaking every single one I own. And when that happened ... I wasn't at home so I couldn't just take the new one ..." I continued but she was not even nearly finished with her investigation. Yay ......

"Where were you then?" she asked while keeping the eye contact. It was terrifying.

I swallowed harshly, taking a few moments to think of something believable. I usually came up with lies quite quickly, even if they were bad but Morgan somehow had the ability to take this superpower away from me.