Chapter 70

~ Bucky's POV ~

I was sitting by the window in a not so crowded bar. It was a late afternoon and raindrops were harshly and quite loudly hitting the glass.

"Thank you." I gratefully smiled at the waitress who brought me a bottle of beer.

"I thought you can't get drunk." A familiar voice appeared from behind me, steps getting closer to the table I was sitting at.

"Why would you assume that I'm trying to get drunk?" I questioned and glanced at Sam who just sat down on the opposite side of the table.

"You live with Emily Stark. Do I have to say more?" Sam said before ordering himself a drink aswell.

"Wait she's not here, is she?" he added quickly and turned around as if he was scared of getting attacked by her.

"No ... no she's not here." I chuckled shortly while letting out a deep breath.

Sam half closed his eyes and stared at me for a few moments. "Something's off." he said before thanking the waitress for his drink.

"Why would you assume that something's off?" I raised my eyebrows before taking a sip of my drink.

"Stop saying that." Sam rolled his eyes. "Why would you assume..." he poorly imitated my voice. "Seriously man ... did you turn into a private investigator or something?"

"Why would you assume that I would tell you if I actually was a private investigator?" I pressed my lips together, trying not to start laughing at Sam's frustrated face expression.

"Okay okay that's enough. Why did you ask me to meet up here?" Sam impatiently took a sip of his drink.

I let out a deep breath while glancing down at the table. "I don't know. I guess I just needed a distraction... a friend." I slightly tapped my fingers on the glass of the bottle in my hands.

"A friend?" he asked and looked around the bar. "And? How is that working out? Any candidates yet?"

"Oh shut up ..." I groaned and threw my head back, closing my eyes in annoyance.

"With this kind of attitude I seriously doubt that people will fight for your friendship."

"I meant you, you idiot." I rubbed my nose bridge, immediately regretting my words as soon as Sam let out a short laugh.

"Look at you ... starting to trust people or something." he nodded proudly.

"I already regret this." I mumbled, taking another sip of my drink, somehow hoping that by some weird miracle I would get drunk.

"No no no don't stop now! Tell your good old friend Sam what's going on in that cyborg brain of yours!" Sam impatiently tapped his fingers on the table, being annoying usual self.

"Well uhm ... you know Mia ... Emily ..." I started after swallowing harshly, not really knowing what or how to say it.

"Yeah, unfortunately I'm familiar with that name ..." he nodded as an encouragement for me to continue.

"Could you be even more immature?!" I snapped as my hand slammed on the table, making Sam jump a little.

"Whoa calm down man! Didn't know it was that serious!" he quickly said and leaned back, crossing his arms and getting way more serious.

"Sorry. Really ... sorry I didn't mean to it's just ..." I shook my head before leaning my elbows on the table and covered my face with my hands.

"Did you two... broke up or something?" he asked carefully, slight disappointment in his voice.