40

NATASHA'S POV

I'm in the hangar. Waiting for Steve and his team. I'm helping them out, I need to, because maybe they're kinda right. And I totally agree that Zemo can't get away with getting to the Winter Soldiers. I might have been spying a little bit on Steve, and that's how I found out.

But what I think and agree on now isn't important. The important part is, that Steve gets away. And I'm the only one who can make that happen, because Tony still thinks I only agree with him, so no one will come running to stop me, it'll be to stop Steve.

"You're not gonna stop" I say when Steve and Bucky shows up in the dust from the tower that just fell outside.
"You know I can't" he says.
I sigh. "I'm gonna regret this" I say and hold out my arm, ready to activate my electric wristbands.

Steve looks at me, like he's given up, but when I change the direction of the wristband to T'Challa that's somehow managed to get in here, he and Bucky looks back and I fire the electricity on T'Challa.

T'Challa falls on his knees with a groan, trying to fight it and get back up.
I take a quick glance at him. Now I have no team, and I'm just as criminal as the others, but at least they have each other. I'm on my own. Once again.

"Go" I say and Steve responds with a grateful nod.
I keep electrocuting T'Challa, that keeps fighting back until Steve and Bucky are in the Quinjet.

After a while the jet is in the air, hovering a few feet above the floor in the hangar.

T'Challa finally gets out of my constant electrocutions and he runs towards the Quinjet, grabbing onto the wheel, that he has to let go of when it disappears into the jet and Steve and Bucky takes off, flying over the crashed tower and Rhodey flies after them.

"I said I'd help you find him, not catch him" I tell T'Challa. "There's a difference" I shrug, but give him a tiny smile in apology.

——————————————

STEVE'S POV

Buck and I are already far away from the Berlin Airport thanks to the speed of the Quinjet. And Natasha. I didn't expect that.

Neither Bucky nor me is saying anything. The only noise is the light rumbling from the jet.

"What's gonna happen to your friends?" Bucky asks after a long time of silence.
I sigh. "Whatever it is...I'll deal with it" I say and look straight forward.
"I don't know if I'm worth all this, Steve" Bucky says.
I don't really know what to say. He is worth it, of course he is, but I have to spend a moment figuring out what to say.

I look back to him.
"What you did all those years...it wasn't you. You didn't have a choice" I say.
"I know" he says in a low voice. "But I did it" he continues after a little while.
I don't know what to answer to that, so I don't say anything.

After another 30 minutes or so after none of us saying anything, Bucky pats my seat.
"What's the deal with you and the girl in the hangar?" He asks.
"Who? Natasha?" I ask and keep focusing on flying the jet.
"Yeah, the pretty redhead, there seemed to be tension between you" he says, and I can feel a strange feeling of anger build up when he calls her pretty.
"She...erh...we were together, but we broke up" I say hesitantly.
He chuckles. "Good to know you don't only fraternize with the Carter's" he says.
"Very funny" I say in a flat tone.
"How long ago did you break up?" He asks interested.
"June" I say. "The day Peggy died".
"That must've sucked" he says. "Losing both your ladies on the same day".
I smile forced to myself. "Yes, it did" I say.
"Good thing you found another Carter" he says teasingly.
"I guess" I say, trying not to pay attention to his friendly bullying.
"In my opinion the redhead is more beautiful. But I have nothing to say anymore. You're the stud now" he chuckles.
"Stop calling her beautiful" I snap, unintended.
"Easy soldier, didn't know you still loved her. How long were you together?" He says, trying not to laugh at my outburst which annoys me.
"Six months" I say between my teeth. "And I don't love her. I'm with Sharon now" I say.
"You kissed Sharon once and now you're together? Is that like a curse? If you kiss the Carter's once you have to love them forever?" He teases.
I've actually missed his teasing, but this is annoying.
"Shut up, jerk" I say to his amusement, and I can hear him laugh as he leans back in his seat.

It's nice to hear him laugh again. To realize that maybe his life is already a little better.

I smile to myself at the thought of him maybe becoming happy again, and I speed up so we can reach our goal now that we've come so far.

———————————————

NATASHA'S POV

It's been a couple of days. We're back in the US. Tony's team that is. Rhodey is still in the hospital after his crash, and we all came to see him. They haven't completely exiled me yet.
But now we're back at the compound. Tony and I are looking over the grass areas, talking about Rhodey's situation.

"The doctors say he shattered L4 through S1. Extreme laceration to the spinal cord...probably looking at some form of paralysis" Tony says, keeping his eyes towards outside.
"Steve's not gonna stop" I say. "If you don't either, Rhodey's gonna be the best case scenario" I continue and look at him.
"You let them go, Nat" Tony says with a low voice.
"We played this wrong" I say with a nod to support my words.
"We?" Tony asks. "Boy, it must be hard to shake the whole double agent thing, huh?" He says with a tiny shaking traced in his voice and looks at me. "It sticks in the DNA" he continues insulting and looks out again, but I don't move my eyes from him.
"Are you incapable of letting go of your own ego for one goddamn second?" I ask and he shifts his look back and forth from me to outside.
"T'Challa told Ross what you did, so...they're coming for you" he says.
"I'm not the one that needs to watch their back" I say and walk away from him without another word.

I need to get the hell out of here now.
I hurry towards my room but I stop outside of Steve's room.

I open the door slightly. His room is a little messy. But he hasn't stayed here for months, so he haven't had the chance to clean up.

In the foot of the bed is his gray-brownish hoodie. I love that hoodie.
I look around in the hallway before I go in and grab it.
I need at least something of his with me now that I'm on my own again, probably for a long time.

I rush to my own room, and pack only the necessities before I leave the compound without looking back.

I'm officially on the run again.

Civil War storyline is over now. (I know the movie isn't over here, but my use of it in this story is)
I'll continue the story when Natasha comes back to the US after the Black Widow storyline, and I hope you'll all keep reading to find out what'll happen to Steve and Natasha!