28

The music is playing on the speakers.
The Christmas party is starting to really take off as the waiters clear the tables.
Tony is already on his seventh drink, and is getting a little bit tipsy.
Wanda is talking to Vision in the corner of the room.
The rest of the crowd is either dancing or having conversations in small groups.

———————————————

STEVE'S POV

I'm leaning against the doorframe looking out on the freezing cold New York evening. There were too many people inside.

The wind is wheezing in the building, and even more so up here.
I can see Natasha in the dark, not so far away from me. She's close to the edge, and she looks like she's taking the air in.

My eyes haven't left Nat's red hair and small figure when I hear a voice behind me.

"Is it all too much Captain?" Agent Hill asks and stops next to me.
"A little bit" I say without taking my eyes off Natasha.
She sighs and looks in Natasha's direction.
"You're in love with her aren't you?" She asks and looks at me.
My eyes immediately leaves Natasha and I look down at her with wide eyes.
"I am what now?" I ask. I don't think it would be a good idea if she knew.
She tilts her head.
"I've seen the way you look at her, and the way you treat her" she says.
"How...what...wh-..." I stammer, but she stops me.
"I've spent a lot of time with Fury, I've learned how to notice things" she says.
"So you...erh...you know that...erh...that I am?" I ask.
"Yes. It's pretty obvious that you are. To me at least" she says.
"Do you think she loves me back?" I ask. I just want somebody to tell me that maybe there's the possibility that she could love me back.
"I don't know. I can't read her. But I think she likes you more than she likes most people" she says.

"What are you talking about?" Natasha is coming towards us.
"Uh...uhm..." I stammer.
"Just the cold weather" Maria says.
Natasha narrows her eyes. "Okay" she shrugs. She probably doesn't believe it, but she doesn't seem like she really cares.
She leaves us in the door and go inside to join the party.
"I root for you two" Maria chuckles and pats my back as she goes inside.
I sigh and follow her inside.

———————————————

NATASHA'S POV

I'm mixing a drink behind the bar when Steve comes over.
He leans against the bar and looks me in the eyes.
"I don't think you should drink more today Nat" he says.
I roll my eyes.
"I'm gonna" I say and pour the drink and take a sip whilst giving him a sweet look.
He smiles at me and taps his fingers on the counter.
"Nat?" He asks, and looks like it took him a bit of courage to ask.
"Mm?" I answer into my drink.
"We still need to talk" he mumbles.
I don't want to. I know what he's going to say, and I can't have that, because I don't know what I feel for him, and I can't even think about having to explain the pregnancy and miscarriage.
"A beer?" I ask to avoid his question and I hand him a beer.
"Sure, but..."
"Wanda!" I shout to Wanda as she crosses the room.
"Sorry Steve" I say and leave him at the bar.

———————————————

STEVE'S POV

At 2 am the party is slowly dying.
Tony is passed out on the couch in his suit, and most guests have left.
My eyes search for Natasha in the remaining crowd.

I spot her in the corner with Wanda, and I approach them.

"Thank god Steve, can you help?" Natasha asks as I get closer.
"What happened?" I ask and quickly put Wanda's arm around my shoulder while Natasha does the same with her other.
"She had too much to drink" Natasha says as we walk with Wanda away from the party towards the elevator.
"Too much to drink? But she's a kid?" I say shocked and look at Natasha, maybe with a bit of a judgmental look.
"It's not my fault" she says and presses the button to  Wanda's floor.

Natasha closes Wanda's door behind her after putting her to bed.
I waited in the hallway.
"Don't look at me like it's my fault she got drunk" she says when she notices the way I'm looking at her.
I'm a little mad at her actually, but I can't be for long, I know that now.
"But she's a kid" I say in an angry tone.
"Shut up Steve, stop being such an old man, times have changed since you were her age" she says as we walk back towards the elevator.
"I know they have" I sigh as the elevator doors close behind us.

We ride to her floor in silence, and when the doors open I follow her.
"What are you doing? This isn't your floor" she says and looks at me.
"I'm taking you home. Like a gentleman" I say.
"Okay" she says indifferently, but I'm pretty sure she blushes a little before she faces the other way.

We stop outside the door to her room.
She looks at me.
"Goodnight Steve" she says and opens the door.
"Wait" I say when she's just about to close her door behind her.
"What?" She asks and looks me in my eyes, the beautiful color in them shining in the bit of light in the hallway.

I lean down and put my lips on hers.
It seems like an appropriate ending to the evening.

She seems a little surprised at first, but then she leans into it.

She puts her hands on my cheeks and I put mine on her back as she gently parts our lips with her tongue so our tongues are softly playing with each other's.

We automatically move into her room and we're almost by her bed.
Her dress already unzipped, my shirt already unbuttoned.

"Stop" she says and puts her hands on my chest as she breaks the kiss.
"What's the matter?" I ask her.
"We know how this is going to end if we keep going" she says.
"Well, I want that" I say and search for her lips again but she dodges me.
"I do too, now. But it's not a good idea, we both know that" she says and we lock eyes.
"I know" I say, but we keep staring at each other, getting lost in each other's eyes.

She finally brings herself to break the eye lock.
"I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" She says and moves a little bit away from me.
"Okay" I say and smile at her. She's right. I know that, but I just really want to kiss her, and touch her and make love to her and eventually fall asleep with her in my arms.

She gets on her toes and kiss my cheek.
"Sleep well Rogers" she says softly.
"You too Romanoff" I say and leave her room.