23

A week goes by. Not a single word have been exchanged between Natasha and Steve, but they're closer to the HYDRA helicarrier. They're on the second day of following it.

"Alright Agents. Captain" Agent Hill comes into the conference room with a stack of papers "we're moving in tonight. At 9. It's December, it's dark anyways so it doesn't have to be later".
"Are we going to be home for Christmas, I promised Wanda I'd be-..." Steve says but Natasha interrupts.
"Captain we're about to attack a floating boat with angry people that supports a red guy with no nose. Christmas can wait" she says in a tone between something jokingly and something mockingly.
"How do you know he looks like that?" Steve asks.
"Heard of photos? Those existed in the forty's too" she says and turns her focus back at Agent Hill that just looks at them confused.
"We probably will be home for Christmas Captain Rogers. Moving on..." Agent Hill says and the last parts of the plan is put together.

———————————————

NATASHA'S POV

I don't know what to say. What do I say? I've never stayed around after ending something with someone. It's awkward and I don't know if I should be mean or nice or act like I don't care or if I should just shut up. I mean I haven't talked to Steve in a week, despite us being trapped on a jet where it's impossible to avoid someone. I probably should have waited till we got off to end it but I couldn't let it become more. A crush on him is already too much.

I'm headed towards my room when I hear steps from behind me.
"Nat!" Steve is running towards me.
"What Steve?" I ask and try not to look into his blue eyes that I miss.
"What was that? We haven't talked in a week and then you come with that comment in a tone like you hate me or thinks I'm ridiculous or something" he says.
"I don't know" is all I say and keep walking but he grabs my arm.
"Steve, I'm sorry okay. I really am, but I don't know what to say or what to do" I say and look at my sneakers.
"Just be my friend. We can go back to before all this happened" he says and search for my eyes, but I keep dodging his look.
"We both know that's not an option. It's already 4, I need to get ready and work out" I say and leave him standing in the middle of the hallway.

———————————————

STEVE'S POV

I miss her. I miss her so much even though she's here.
Maybe she's right. Maybe we shouldn't have slept together in the first place.
We were great friends and now it's like all of that has disappeared. I hope the awkwardness will pass and we can get closer to where we were.
But I don't want to go back to only being friends. I'm so in love with her. So much that I've given up convincing myself that it's only a little bit.

I feel guilty over loving Nat as I walk back to the conference room. She said she wasn't interested in love, and then of course there's Peggy. I love Peggy too. But she doesn't have long. They told me that at the hospital when I visited her. I need to tell her about Nat. Tell her how sorry I am that I fell in love with someone else.
Because I am. When I woke up from the ice, and I realized how badly everyone treated each other, I swore I'd never become like that. But here we are. I'm breaking my promises to both Peggy and Nat and the Avengers with the no inter-team dating.

I sit down in one of the chairs with a sigh. Agent Carter that's sitting across from me looks up.
"Tough day?" She asks.
I look at her.
"Pretty tough" I say and lean back with my eyes closed.
"You can talk to me you know" she says and close the folder.
"Thanks" I say without saying more when I remember what Nat told me about her liking me. I can't deal with that right now.
There's silence.
"It's a nice sized Quinjet huh?" She says trying to start a conversation.
"Yeah I guess, compared to the small ones" I say.
"We're taking you and Romanoff to the helicarrier in one of the small ones now that you mention them, this one is too big to get closer" she says.
I don't really care.
"Great" I reply.
She smiles at me and looks like she's about to say something.
"You know, I better get in an afternoon workout" I say and stand up. I don't really want to talk to her any longer, and I leave the room thinking about Nat. I can't stop.

THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH FOR 1000 READS!!
When I started posting this story I never thought I'd get 1000 reads!
It honestly means so much to me, and I hope you'll keep reading!