Not A Puppet

I was the kitchen washing the dishes. Elena next me putting them in the dishwasher.

" One more." Damon came in. Elena smiled and turned.

" Thank you." She said going to grab the cup only for it to slip out of her hands. I waited for it to fall but Damon swiftly caught it. Elena laughed.

" Nice save." She said handing me the cup.

" Yea nice save Damon." Elena hit my shoulder mouthing for me to be nice. I rolled my eyes.

" I like you. You know how to laugh." Was he trying to flirt with my sister. He turned to me walking to my right.

" You make Stefan smile which is something I haven't seen in a very long time." He said.

" He said the same about you, you know." I said looking up at him. " I take it has a complement though. If I can make the Salvatore's smile and laugh and it's real. I can do it with anyone." I told him sending him a wink. He smiled.

" Earlier did you mean Katherine?" Elena asked as I went to put a plate in the dishwasher but Damon took it from me and put it in.

" Mhm." Damon replied.

" How did she die?" Elena asked. This caught my attention. Stefan hasn't spoken about her much only that she used both him and Damon.

Damon took a breath in. " A fire. Tragic fire." He said walking to stand in front of both of us but not before closing the dishwasher for me. I smiled at him in thanks.

" Recently?" Elena asked.

" Seems like it was yesterday." Damon said leaning on the counter.

" What was she like?" I smacked Elena's arm.

" You can't ask that Elena. Stop putting your nose in things that aren't you business." I told her. She sighed sadly.

" No it's okay really." Damon told me. " She's beautiful. A lot like you guys in that department." Damon said looking more at Elena.

" She was also very complicated and selfish. And at times not very kind but very sexy and seductive." Damon said looking at me and Elena thoroughly.

" So which one of you dated her first?" Elena asked. I high-fived her. I knew she was smart. Damon chuckled.

" Nicely deduced. Ask Stefan, I'm sure his answer differs from mine." He said looking to me.

" What if I want to ask you?" I questioned. He shook his head.

" Story for another time little flare." He said.

" Yeah whatever." I said sitting up on the counter and started to help Elena fold the towels.

" I'd quite cheerleading if I was you." Damon said to Elena sitting down in the chair next to her.

" Why do you say that?" Elena asked looking at me.

" Ohh, I saw you at practice. You looked miserable." Damon stated helping us fold now too.

" You saw that?" Elena asked.

" Am I wrong?" Damon asked looking up from folding.

" I use to love it. It was fun, but things are different this year. Everything that used to matter doesn't anymore." Elena said fixing her hair.

" So don't let it. Quite, move on. Problem solved. Taa daaa." Damon said. I nodded.

" I agree with Damon. You can't spend your life doing some you don't want to." I told my sister.