Chapter 40: Deja Vu

Hana's POV:
_____________________________

The morning of my birthday was absolutely bland.

Think about cake flavors...

Normally people pick "red velvet" or "chocolate"; you know, something interesting.

Heck, some people even pick "birthday cake" as a birthday cake flavor.

But my morning was more like... vanilla.

Plain, boring, uninteresting vanilla.

It almost felt as if it was just another usual day.

Exactly like vanilla... it was nothing new.

Not that I was expecting to wake up and have a cake shoved into my face- but it did seem very anticlimactic.

My parents were running around the house looking for important files.

They just happened to have a business trip the day of my birthday.

"We'll try to make it home early" my mother rushed her suitcase (full of boring adult stuff) out the door.

"Since it's a Friday don't rush out of school, maybe take Chaeryoung down Han River or go eat out with your friends" my father suggested.

That's not a bad idea...

But they're always 'too busy' anyway.

I bet they'd leave me on delivered if I even bother asking.

"I promise, if this wasn't important we would have totally pushed it aside to spend time with you" my mother suffocated me in a big, warm hug.

"Since it is really rude to miss out on your birthday..." my dad pulled out his wallet, "I hope this will make up for it... ?" he handed me his credit card.

My mother gasped-

"Jinyoung!" my mom scolded my dad and hit him on the shoulder.

My dad chuckled.

"I guess your credit card would make me consider forgiving you..." I kiddingly sighed.

"Just be responsible." my mother firmly told me as they walked out the front door.

I fidgeted with my parent's credit card.

I wanted to bicker more with my parents- I was having fun, but they were already out the driveway.

It was just me in that big house-

"Or you could spend your birthday with me... ?" I heard Nam's sweet voice.

Her sudden presence made me flinch.

"Hmmmm- no thanks." I joked around.

"WOW! Have fun doing your own laundry from now on!" She joked back.

Nam turned around and headed upstairs, leaving me all alone.

I wanted to be around someone- I had been strictly forbidding myself to go out because of Minho.

But it was my birthday. I didn't want my paranoia over Minho getting in the way of that.

I hadn't heard of Minho since the library incident, so I wasn't as worried as before.

Even though I was ready to hang out and joke around... everyone suddenly seemed too busy.

I had nothing better to do, so I went to school.