Chapter 39: More Important

Hana's POV:
_____________________________

I quietly made my way down the hallway.

My head hurt from overthinking.

Mrs. Seon insisted I go to the nurse's office for painkillers.

I was touched by her kindness- but then I remembered how she's the health teacher, so worrying about people's health is kind of her job.

A sharp but long lasting pain suddenly erupted from the sides of my forehead.

It hurt so much I began to squint.

I decided to sit down before I passed out-

The hallways were completely empty.

Not even the noisy janitor was around to give unnecessary detentions.

I hated it- silence meant I was alone with my thoughts, and thinking was the reason I had a headache in the first place.

"So it was my mom all along" I sighed.

"What." I vividly remember spacing out.

"It was me." My mom avoided eye contact.

I looked at her, waiting to see the expression on her face- whether she was proud or ashamed of herself.

Her voice answered it for me.

"You moved away nearly a year ago" She mumbled.

"It's so empty here- I thought by creeping you out of your apartment you'd..." she paused, "I thought you'd come back."

The room went silent.

I couldn't say I felt surprised- but I was definitely not expecting whatever this was from her.

"And it worked." I broke the silence.

"Yeah... but then Minho came back and I realized how bad everything seemed- and how scared you were" I could sense the guilt radiate off of my mother.

I didn't know what to do- what, am I supposed to scold my mother?

When I was little we never communicated whenever there was a problem- Minho changed that for us, it still felt weird to talk things out.

As we stood on opposite ends of the kitchen island, a sense of responsibility grew over me.

Seemed like the parent-kid roles had been switched.

"Is that it?" I asked coldly.

She lifted her head in confusion.

"I mean- is that all? Is there something else I should be aware of?" I crossed my arms.

My mother shook her head.

"Then goodnight- don't stay up too late" I turned around.

"Is there anything I should be aware of?" My mother's words made me freeze.

I slowly turned back- "I got detention... you would've known if you weren't so busy opening windows".

I walked back up to my room with the last word.

To be honest, I was relieved to find out it wasn't Minho breaking into my apartment.

It was weird- she could have just asked me to go back home.

I guess I see where she's coming from... even if she would've asked... I wouldn't have gone back either way.

"Why is this so frustrating?" I thought.