Chapter 29: Phone Number

Hana's POV:
___________________________

"I'll go in first then." I told Yeonjun as we stood outside my house.

"Okay-" Yeonjun flashed me a quick smile.

Although it was quick, I still managed to get flustered.

I looked up at the dark blue sky blending to black, "Hurry up and go home,  it's getting dark" I tried shooing him away.

Yeonjun put his hand up to his forehead and saluted me goodbye like a military official. He spun around and began to walk away.

Dork.

I closed my front door and put my coat away.

I was about to hunch over to take off my shoes when I realized a cold breeze lingering close to the floor.

I smiled, "Minji probably left the window open again" I thought as I took off my shoes.

I grabbed my phone from my jacket and called Minji.

It ringed for a bit but she eventually picked up-

"Oh- Hey Hana, what's up?" Minji greeted me.

"Hey- close the window next time you come over, 'kay?" I told Minji as I comfortably walked into my room and closed the window.

"..." either Minji went quiet or the call was cutting.

"Minji? Are you there?" I asked, concerned.

"I... I haven't been at your house since last time... I'm in band practice-"

I slowly put my phone down as I realized someone that wasn't Minji had been in my house.

It was like a scary, disgusting feeling of violation- my things and my safe space had been broken into by someone I didn't know.

I froze in place as a reality check hit me.

"Hana? Are you still there?-" I could hear Minji's voice from my phone.

That's when I heard a noise coming from my bathroom- and I noticed how the bathroom light was on.

I definitely didn't leave it on.

All the adrenaline rushed at me all at once as my feet spun me around and I began running.

I sprinted out the front door and didn't bother closing the door behind me.

I ran shoeless for six blocks.

Am I overreacting?

What if someone was in the house with me?

W-Who could it have been?

Minji... has to be playing a prank on me- where are the cameras? This has to be a joke.

If this is a joke, I'm going to be pissed- this isn't some prank show-

My feet hurt from all the pebbles, sticks, and overall just the sidewalk.

I stopped at a crosswalk.

For the first time, I looked behind me.

My head was pounding, I couldn't tell if it was a migraine or my heartbeat palpitating off of my forehead.

Maybe it was the adrenaline pumping through my body repeatedly- but my heart was pounding as if I had just run a marathon, which wasn't too far fetched from the truth.

Paranoia flooded my head and I dashed over to the button at the electricity pole to change the traffic lights.

I pressed it, "wait" was what I heard back from the button.