A Guide To Moving On

"Hey, Oli."

Gowon called out softly to the wolf, who was looking blankly at the ceiling; she hummed as a response, but never looked her in the eyes.

Gowon sighed and got out of bed, walking over to Hyejoo's and removing the covers that had been draped over her.

Despite the fact that it took Hyejoo off guard, she made room for the older. Hyejoo sat up and ruffled her hair, asking, "Why aren't you sleeping yet?"

"I could ask you the same question," Gowon deadpanned, her gaze falling on the nervous younger girl. The fact that Hyejoo's fingers were fidgeting was proof enough that she was anxious.

"It's just... some things that's keeping me awake, nothing to be concerned about."

"What things? I've noticed you've been having trouble sleeping lately; you can't tolerate habits like that. What's wrong? You know you can talk to me, right?"

Gowon could see Hyejoo's chest rise up and down due to heavy breathing as her eyes darted around, clearly looking for an excuse.

The older put a hand on Hyejoo's shoulder, calming her down, which was a relief. "You can tell me anything, I'm all ears."

Hyejoo paused for a moment, taking a deep breath and biting her lower lip as she hesitated to reveal what had kept her awake all night. It's time to put an end to this awful habit she's been developing, and Gowon can certainly help her with that.

"Let me guess, you still haven't gotten over Jinsoul eonni and Hyeri's relationship, am I right? I'm sure I am, since we can't believe it yet too, it happened so fast."

Gowon spoke just as the other girl was about to say something. Hyejoo wanted to scream at her for interrupting her, but she couldn't since what the older girl stated was exactly why she was having trouble sleeping these days.

Although she got to admit, even if she already confronted Jinsoul about it, she was still sad about seeing someone she love be happy with another person.

Hyejoo couldn't hide the fact any longer, especially when it was so evident.

Gowon slid closer to Hyejoo as her arms wrapped around her in a soothing way as the wolf hung her head low with a deep sigh escaping from her lips, "I understand how painful it is for you to have lost someone."

"You may have lost them unexpectedly. Or maybe you started losing bits of them until you were left with nothing. You may have known them your whole life, or you may have just recently met them. In any case, you have no power over the severity of a wound inflicted by another soul."

Hyejoo cocked her head to look at Gowon's face, which is filled with concern and care. Something that settles Hyejoo down on the inside.

Despite being slightly unnerved by Hyejoo's direct gaze, Gowon continued, "After a while, the pain subsides. You begin to connect the patterns and understand why they did what they did. Recognizing that clapping requires two hands. Learn that not everyone you meet will remain in your life indefinitely. They may appear as a side character in a chapter of your book at times."

"There to teach you a lesson, to help you experience different things in life-different feelings, to learn, and possibly to show you how to love yourself better. Determine your value."

"Some of these characters would be difficult to replace when their time in a chapter of your life comes to an end. However, it is important to learn and recognize the need to let them go, even though you don't want to."

Letting go. Hyejoo exhaled sharply after hearing those two words; she didn't want to let go, but the pain was too much for her to bear.

The short girl caressed Hyejoo's back after observing the younger's reaction. Making another attempt to calm her down, "It will hurt at first. It's the kind of pain that will have you crying until three in the morning, puffy eyes, nose plugged and swollen. The kind of pain that follows you around-reminding you of the memories you once shared in certain places you pass by. It's the kind pain that makes you wonder if you ever meant anything to them."

Reminiscing about their pleasant and joyful times together caused a tear to fall down the wolf's cheeks. She hung her head low so that Gowon would not notice the tears streaming down her face athough it appeared that Hyejoo was too late.

The older noticed how a tear had fallen down to the blanket. It made her panic, but she calmed down and resolved to handle things professionally.

Gowon persisted as she side hugged the younger girl, "Heartbreak is inevitable, particularly when it involves people you care for. But if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that you can't have expectations. You can't expect them to love you back the same way you love them, with the same intensity, and that's the sad reality, my friend."

"The way you love someone does not determine if that person will return your love. You may have many interactions with others, but that doesn't always mean they're meant for you, and it's same with love, darling. As much as we hate to admit it, this refers to both friendships and relationships."

Gowon does have a point and that hitted something in Hyejoo's mind. She loves Hyeri, but the girl doesn't love her back.

Hyejoo knew in her mind that she couldn't force someone to love her the way she loves them. Love doesn't work that way-at least for Hyejoo.

"The toughest part of losing someone you care for is not the goodbye, but learning to live without their presence beside you anymore..."

"...And seeing how they're able to move on without you only adds to the pain. But can you blame them? To be honest, you can't.

"Love and being valued are the two things that people yearn for....but, I've discovered that when you look for love, for redemption to fill the void they've left, it never really works out. Is it not entirely genuine? I believe it is more of a forced bond because you want to fill the void, you crave that drug and rush known as 'love' because it is a beautiful feeling."

"However, the best kind of love, and what I consider to be the purest, is unexpected love. You're not asking for something, and you're not looking for healing. Often we find healing in the people we encounter. And the world doesn't seem to be all that bad after all."

Hyejoo was already crying when Gowon finished her long counsel speech, trying her hardest not to wake up the other girls.

The older began rubbing the wolf's back and reassuringly squeezing her hands. It wasn't the first time the younger had cried, but it was unusual for her to do so, and this time was particularly serious.

"I am not here to remind you that tomorrow is a new day. That the sun will continue to shine. Or people go about their daily lives as usual."

"What I would tell you is that it's alright to be in as much pain as you are. What you're feeling is not only valid, but also necessary-because it makes you more human. And, while I can't guarantee it will get better any time soon, I can assure you that it will-eventually. For the time being, all you can do is take your time. Take as much time as you like."

Hyejoo nodded whilst wiping her tears away, vigorously sniffing which made them both laugh only for them to quickly shut up when they felt Sooyoung shift from the bottom bunk bed.

"I'm slowly starting to think that you're lowkey hitting on me by comforting me," said Hyejoo as she chuckled.

Gowon didn't respond which made the younger froze in realization. "Wait, you-"

The wolf was cut off by the older girl's kiss on the cheek. Gowon's cheeks flushed as she quickly climbed down her bed, returning to her own mattress and covered herself. Inside the silent room, her tiny squeals could be heard.

When that happened, the younger felt a sense of déjà vu. They were two different people, but the feelings were the same. How is that possible? The young girl questioned herself.

At the moment, Hyejoo could only think of one thing,

Maybe it's time to let go.