seventy-six.

Sunday, January 10th, 2021

Danielle made her way from the bathroom to the bedroom where her girlfriend was putting her earrings in using the mirror that hung above their dresser with pictures and postcards tucked into the frame.

"My best friend is getting married today," the blonde smiled brightly, earning a laugh from her girlfriend.

"He's my brother, not your best friend. I'm going to gag," she smiled as she kissed her girlfriend softly. 

Danielle rolled her eyes, returning the kiss before heading back to the bathroom to finish changing. "Don't forget to pack your toothbrush," Stefania reminded her knowing that she will most likely still forget it.

"I won't," even Danielle knew that was a lie. 

"Should we bring the diaper bag?" the older woman peeked her head into the bathroom while Danielle finished putting up her hair.

"Are you planning for me to have the baby at the wedding?" the blonde asked playfully, looking back at her through the mirror.

"No, but you still have about two weeks and that's not far away. Let's bring it, just in case," Stefania lifted her girlfriend's chin as she looked down at the ground nervously. "Hopefully we won't have to deal with that, just continue to get ready. Gio is probably freaking out right now,"

***

"By God, look at you, my baby brother," Stefania ran up to her brother as he was still getting dressed. His bow tie hanging loosely around his neck.

"Ah!" he yelled as two arms wrapped around his body. "Are they here yet?"

"The guests?" the older woman questioned as she looked at her little brother.

"No, Dad and them,"

"I can go look," Danielle offered, looking around the small room that had two other men in it, assuming they were his groomsmen.

Gio shook his head confidently when he looked down at his sister. "Can you go look for them?" he asked Stefania politely, she looked at him with a shocked expression before agreeing and walking out of the room.

"I'm really happy for you," Danielle smiled while tying his bow tie.

"I have something to ask of you," he soft softly.

"Anything," she put her hands down to her side as she waited.

The younger man looked down at the woman he considered his best friend. "I know this isn't very traditional, but I'd like you to stand next to me during the ceremony,"

"Gio," the question nearly brought her to tears as he asked.

"Oh, my god, what's wrong?" the tall man asked as he brought her in for a hug. "Please don't cry,"

Right as Gio spoke his sister came back into the room to see the two of them hugging while she cried in his arms.

"Bambina, why are you crying?" she hurried over to take her out of her brother's embrace.

"He-" she managed out between sobs. "He asked me to stand next to him during the ceremony."

"Baby brother," the woman spoke in Italian while looking up from her girlfriend.

"I didn't know it would make her cry like this," he spoke, catching a glimpse of the woman in tears as she shot a glare at him.

***

Danielle stood next to her girlfriend as they waited to walk down the aisle together before splitting off to either side.

"Look how pretty she looks," Danielle pointed over to Nichole who stood with her sisters as they waited.