五十四

doctor kihyun had left the lake house in the late afternoon, having to go through the entire new process with doc and the three other doctors, informing them of what was most likely about to happen within now and a week. kihyun knew that if it went downhill just a little more, they were forced to take actions. and even when junhui was heavily against this whole hospital idea, at this rate it was simply for his own sake.

the evening was nearing when the door of junhui's room slowly swung open. it took only a second for junhui to recognize the presence entering his room, knowing that there was only one person in the entire lake house who hadn't announced his presence since the third time he payed a nightly visit to him.

the position junhui was in allowed him to instantly throw a glance over at minghao, as he hadn't moved after kihyun's appointment and still had the headboard supporting his back. and there he was, his boyfriend in all his glory, wearing one of junhui's oversized t-shirts.

"you're still wearing it." junhui pointed out the grayish-black shirt that hung loosely around minghao's delicate body. he knew that lending him his clothes gave minghao this certain sense of reassurance and comfort, being constantly surrounded with his safe scent and in a t-shirt that originally belonged to junhui. just the idea of wearing his boyfriend's clothes gave him enough safety.

"i've only worn it for.. two days in a row now?" minghao admitted, sitting down on junhui's bed with his legs crossed as he offered junhui a bowl of soup. "here, doc made soup tonight. should i hold your bowl for you?"

though junhui hated looking vulnerable in front of the boy he loved ever so dearly, he knew he had no other choice. if he didn't want to spill the hot substance all over himself, he had to allow minghao to help him a little. so he nodded weakly, muttering out a small 'thank you'.

minghao put his own bowl of soup on junhui's bedside table, shuffling closer so he was able to raise a spoon full of soup to junhui's mouth every time, testing the limits of junhui's stomach once again as his appetite wasn't the same as usual anymore as well. "hao? what soup is this?"

though junhui could clearly see that its color was bright red, beside the hot liquid running down his throat and filling his tummy, his senses seemed to shut down. and with that, minghao noticed the beginning of him starting to lack taste. "it's tomato soup." minghao tried to cover up his sigh by staring down at his crossed legs for a mere second. "you're not able to taste it, right?"

with a look full of anticipation minghao looked up, wishing for junhui to deny his claim. just a simple shake of his head would be enough. yet unfortunately, he nodded, emitting a tired sigh as well. "if it wasn't red i would have thought it was tea." junhui chuckled about how ridiculous he must sound, yet minghao's odd sense of understanding kept him calm.

moments like these seemed to deepen the intimacy in their relationship in a strange manner. minghao took his time in feeding junhui his meals, taking care of the elder in his most vulnerable state. not only that, a lot of daily tasks now had to be done under guidance of others now junhui wasn't able to fulfill them anymore. and while actually only doctors were allowed to carry out those tasks, minghao had taken everything on himself as he couldn't stand to see junhui in both physical pain and uncomfortableness.

and even when dorothy, the elderly doctor, hadn't been fond of both chinese boys since te start, she had taught minghao all the necessary things he needed to know to get junhui through his day. seeing junhui in his unfortunate state and the magical love between them, she figured that she could break free from her strict character for once.

perhaps it was because of what doc had pleaded her to do. but everyone in the lake house knew, that she secretly found it hard to see what the two boys had to go through on such a young age. an unfortunate love, in her opinion.

"hao.. i'm full." junhui refused the spoon minghao had brought up to his lips again.

"are you sure?" minghao worriedly asked, being answered with a small nod. sorrow clouded his expression when minghao looked down at the bowl that still contained doc's delicious tomato soup. yet he accepted it, knowing he couldn't force anything down junhui's throat as it would only cause more physical troubles.

"okay." he softly replied, eyes fixated on his legs as he exchanged the bowl for his own and started working the hot substance down his throat.

"do you still have the magnet we bought in that town?" junhui asked out of a sudden, recalling a memory of only a few weeks ago. they had been so happy at that time, driving over bumpy roads with music blasting through the speakers, endless strolls over the square and its little streets.

"of course! i keep it on my bedside table, so when i have to sleep in my own room it's the first thing i see when i open my eyes." minghao answered, thankful for the change of subject as it had brought a grateful smile on both of their faces. the memories they had made suddenly held way more purpose than they had done back then, when junhui's condition hadn't even been close to this.

"i can't wait to stick it on our fridge." junhui chuckled, finally earning a look from minghao.

it was the word our that caught minghao off guard. even when he had never been to junhui's apartment before, it already felt like a home, regardless of how it looked. especially when junhui used words like this, where he described it as something of their own, it seemed to give minghao hope.

hope that, maybe, everything would turn out alright in the end.