十八

"you don't think we're going to get caught, right?" 

the roles were reversed as junhui hid behind minghao this time instead of the other way around. they were done stargazing since clouds started blurring their vision and warm monsoon rain started coming down from the sky. 

the glass doors slid open effortlessly again, making barely any noise and making it easier for the two to sneak back inside and get in their rooms before anyone could catch them red handed. the room was unlit, even the still smoldering fireplace had completely died down. the only source of light that illuminated the room was the small bundle of moonlight that fell through the windows. just enough for them to not trip on their way to the wooden staircase. 

"we won't get caught. i've been here way longer than you have, i know my tactic's." minghao giggled, swerving a couch so they wouldn't stumble. 

"interesting thing, minghao. because last time i checked i was the one who's been here for the longest time." minghao screeched because of the sudden person that appeared from out of nowhere, stepping out of a shadow underneath the staircase. 

the poor boy found shelter behind junhui, who could do nothing but laugh when he discovered who they got caught by. 

"oh doc please, you're going to give him a heart attack like that." junhui chuckled.

doc got closer to them with a heart warming smile plastered on his face, checking if minghao was doing fine. the boy still hid away behind junhui's protective figure, his sudden approach having an effect on him. 

"i should scold you for sneaking out in the middle of the night like this, but seeing the two of you running through that field and stargazing made me change my mind." doc looked up at the ceiling, mesmerized by the young couple in front of him. "i can remember when i had your age all i ever wanted was to grow up soon. seeing the two of you like that made me regret a lot of my decisions. that's why i can't get mad about the reckless behavior of you two." 

"well, i can't say we didn't have a good time out there." junhui chuckled, reaching behind him and feeling how minghao instantly slipped his hand in his hold. 

"so who's idea was it to go stargazing at this time? if i'm not mistaken it's already far past three, shouldn't you be sleeping?" doc cocked a brow, trying to at least look somewhat stern. 

"minghao came to wake me up, didn't you?" junhui stepped aside and flashed minghao a smile, who sheepishly nodded. "but i'm not exactly tired, i haven't been sleeping well these days." 

doc's delighted expression turned into a frown in less than a second, switching the atmosphere out of a sudden. "sleep you say, huh?" he mumbled, bringing a finger up to his chin. "about that, doctor kihyun is visiting the lake house tomorrow morning. he said he discovered some crucial information regarding to your disease, junhui. i think the symptoms that have been getting visible for the past days have something to do with it." 

junhui nodded understanding, his characteristic smile vanished momentarily. never in his life had he been so worried about his own well-being. yet now, with the news doc had just brought to him, he started fearing the answers he would receive tomorrow. answers about his future and the possible consequences the illness brought along. 

minghao seemed to worry just as much as junhui himself, perhaps even a little more. that's why a grin tugged onto junhui's lips again. he squeezed minghao's hand softly to ensure him that there was nothing to worry about. and though he couldn't guarantee anything, with minghao by his side he knew anything would be possible. 

"well let's see what he has to say!" junhui's usual optimism hadn't faded a bit, easing the heavy atmosphere that surrounded his yet undiscovered illness. "but i think it's best for all of us if we take rest now. it's late and i think minghao can use some sleep, right minghao?" 

minghao nodded again, not wanting to speak in anyone but junhui's presence. "i see, goodnight boys. oh and before i forget to say," doc grinned mischievously. "maybe it's best if you watch the clouds next time, or a sunset. sneaking out at night is still against the rules and we don't want two runaways or something to happen to the two of you while we're all sleeping. that would be a disaster, wouldn't it?" 

both minghao and junhui nodded, walking past doc to the twirling staircase. "understood." junhui saluted, leading minghao upstairs as doc decided to stay downstairs a bit longer. "good night doc!" 

the boys tiptoed upstairs, not wanting to wake any other occupants in the lake house. as doc just presumed, it had to be far past three am. which meant everyone needed rest without being disturbed by two boys who spontaneously came up with the idea of going outside to go stargazing. 

once they finally managed to make it past every single door and they arrived at the end of the hallway, where both junhui and minghao's room were located beside one another, they took a stop. 

"hey minghao, i really enjoyed tonight." junhui kept his volume low, inaudible for every other to hear. "thank you for showing me that." 

"thank you for coming with me." a small smile made way to minghao's face as he fiddled with the sleeve of his sweater with his free hand, blanket swung around his shoulder's like a cape. seeing him smile so genuinely in his most vulnerable state made junhui contemplate whether to invite him to his room or not. 

but junhui knew, it wasn't time for that yet. 

"so what adventure are we experiencing tomorrow? we can go swimming in the lake at three?" junhui joked, receiving a gentle slap against his chest. 

"don't be silly." 

it was minghao who initiated a sudden hug, allowing himself to be pulled up against junhui's warm chest so he could bury his nose in the crook of the elder's neck. it all felt so safe, mixed with the nostalgic feeling of home, making minghao want to stay in his hold for an eternity. 

"junhui?" minghao mumbled, receiving a gentle hum as junhui had his nose nuzzled in his jet-black hair. "we'll figure it out, right?" 

a soft chuckle was heard as junhui gently stroked his back, fingertips tender and careful while they touched minghao's delicate body. 

"we'll find a way minghao."