二十四

"the stars are beautiful, don't you think?"

even minghao couldn't deny that. once again, minghao had snuck out of his room to spend more time with junhui. though they had been inseparable all day, at this point it was impossible for him to keep his distance from the elder. 

they were seated on junhui's comfortable window sill again, both on the opposite side with their feet aligned. the night sky was unclouded, allowing them to look straight into the endless galaxy and the millions of stars that guarded over them. the landscape was magical, the snowy mountain tips miles up in the sky illuminated by the fair moonlight, the lake serene as the wind caused tiny waves to crash upon shore, tips of the trees faraway in the forest swaying onto the rhythm of the nightly breeze. 

"it would have been even prettier if we were actually allowed outside at this time.." minghao heaved a sigh, resting his chin in the palms of his hands. he had, just like junhui, his knees pulled up against his chest to provide both of them enough space. 

"i think they're also beautiful from up here." junhui said, his eyes glued to the immense universe outside. "of course, laying outside in the grass gives you the full experience. but i like things being like this too." 

to junhui it honestly didn't matter, just as long as minghao was by his side. nights like these, leaning up against the window, scarce touches and cozy conversations were the ones he liked most. where he would feel safe and at peace. peaceful about his unfortunate fate, that didn't seem to matter when minghao was around. 

his presence soothed out his worries and made him feel equally as healthy as anyone else. his condition was irrelevant and didn't control his life for just a moment. even when moments like these never lasted long, junhui was grateful to have a person like minghao by his side who wasn't even aware that he made everything so much easier. 

"being like this?" minghao asked, averting his eyes from the countless stars to junhui who was still captivated by the mystical landscape on the other side of the window. 

"yes, being like this. just like i said two nights ago when we lay in the grass. just us being like this makes me really happy." junhui let out a content sigh, totally oblivious of minghao who's eyes were glued to his face. "i think i'm just really grateful to have met a person like you." 

"but.. don't you have a whole group of friends at home? what makes me so special if you have them?" minghao fiddled with the sleeves of his silken bathrobe as he hadn't taken the effort to change into his pajama. 

"you're different, minghao." junhui chuckled, his lips curling up in an endearing little smile. mesmerized about the idea, junhui got lost in the thousands of little specks high up the horizon. "i like to think we can be more than friends eventually, if we aren't already." 

minghao suddenly craved for the same comfort junhui had given him earlier than evening. desperate for the slightest touch, those tender fingertips roaming over the surface of his arms and shoulders. even when his longings still managed to confuse minghao, who never took a liking to anything that included physical touch, when it came to junhui it just felt so different. so safe. 

"can i sit with you again?" minghao spoke his thoughts out loud without feeling the embarrassment he usually did when asking such question. 

junhui tore his gaze apart from the breathtaking view outside and focused his attention on the boy in front of him. "aren't you sitting with me already?" the elder chuckled, leaning his temple against the window to get a better view of the boy in front of him. 

"no.. i mean.. you know what i mean, stop being mean." minghao huffed, instantly looking away as a furious blush painted his cheeks. junhui suddenly seemed to understand what he tried to say earlier and chuckled sincerely. 

"but the couch had much more space, i don't think we can both fit on here." junhui tried to think of a helpful solution, reminiscing about how warm it had felt back on the couch. 

"no no no, forget i asked." minghao let out a sound that resembled one of his characteristic giggles. a sudden wave of embarrassment crashed onto him, making him feel stupid about how bluntly he had spoken his thoughts out loud. 

"oh no i'm not going to forget about that. you know what, i think this might work." junhui motioned for minghao to look back at him. "now i don't want to make this sound inappropriate, but if you get in between my legs you can rest your back against my chest. there's more than enough space for that." 

"how are you even supposed to make that sound appropriate?" minghao giggled warmheartedly, finding comfort in the way junhui spoke and agreed with his request. junhui always had this typical way of saying things that made minghao feel at ease. 

"just come here you, you know i don't have more intentions than cuddling." junhui laughed along, gesturing for minghao to get closer to him. and so minghao did, crawling up to junhui and sitting down on the spot junhui had pointed out. 

to his surprise, it felt even more comfortable than how they sat on the couch earlier. junhui's chest rose up and down on a rhythmical steady pace as his arms secured themselves around minghao's tummy, holding him ever so dearly. minghao lay the back of his head against junhui's shoulder and felt how junhui rested his cheek against his temple. 

"i like to think that way too." minghao whispered, coming back on the words junhui had said earlier. just for a moment they both remained silent, staring up at the countless stars that guarded over them. "i think i realize only now that i have never trusted anyone the way i trust you and i don't think i ever will." 

minghao's words were genuine, spreading this certain warm feeling through junhui's chest who couldn't help but to tighten his grip a little. "i promise that one day you will be able to trust more people again. not everyone is as bad as how you see humanity, and i want to be the one to show you that." 

"thank you, junhui." 

minghao wasn't as much of a talker as junhui, and the elder was well aware of that. hearing him speak his feelings so freely made junhui feel a sense of pride and warmth. it made him feel glad that minghao was able to grow through him. and for as long as he was able to, he would be there for minghao to show him the art of trust.