十五

dinner came around and even minghao joined the table this time, seeing he was hardly even separable from junhui's side at this point. but mostly since he wanted to keep an eye on the elder in case another attack like that afternoon would happen.

"this dish is delicious, where have you learned to make it?" junhui asked doc in wonder, his cheeks stuffed with the meal that had been prepared for them.

"i think i learned to cook spaghetti on the traditional way when i was on a trip to italy. i've stayed in several small villages and the people there were so welcoming and friendly. the lady who taught me this form of art was at least seventy years of age, yet she made it at least a ten times better than me. if i remember correctly i bought the supplies at the supermarket last week and i only stoved them.."

the way doc told about all his adventurous trips always left the patients in wonder as to how a person could have seen so much of the world. therefore doc had a great passion for telling stories and passed his experience through on the teens inside his lake house.

"italy was so beautiful, with its lakes and breathtaking nature. i wish i can go back there one day." doc zoned out for a second, mesmerized by the memories he had made that summer.

"i want to go to italy too." taemin exclaimed, proudly swinging his cutlery in the air. in the speed of his fling he accidentally dropped a string of spaghetti on the maroon table, which had his company laughing.

"as if you're ever able to get out of this place." wheein harshly nudged the boy in his side, receiving a small pout as reaction.

"stop bitching! you've been here longer than i have!" taemin argued back, stealing a meatball from her plate and stuffing the delicacy in his mouth at once.

"give that back! i wasn't finished yet!" wheein went on with continuously hitting taemin, attempting to get one of her precious meatballs back.

"wheein! shouldn't you be proud of taemin instead? he just ate an extra meatball, that means he's making huge progress!" doc proudly said, pointing out taemin's nearly empty plate.

"ha! i told you i'd be out of here sooner than you would!" taemin pushed the dashed girl against her shoulder, who could only huff in annoyance.

"then give him one of your meatballs!" wheein defended herself, sulking over her plate of spaghetti.

"that's actually a pretty good idea. you know what taemin, if you finish that plate of yours you can have my last meatball! and to make it even better, once you get out of here i'll take you on a trip to italy!" doc promised.

the eyes of the sixteen-year old grew at least twice the size. "you're taking me to italy? bet! i'll even eat a second plate if i have to!" taemin started gobbling his plate of spaghetti as if his life depend on it, leaving the table in peaceful laughter. 

"it's good to see you get over that eating disorder of yours my man." yanan on the other side of taemin calmly patted his shoulder, making doc smile upon the heart warming scenario as he whispered a small 'god i love my job'. 

it were junhui and minghao who had been silent throughout the entire conversation, mesmerized by the whole home-like atmosphere. never had minghao been able to fit in somewhere, though even with his lack of verbal communication he felt like he belonged. perhaps it was just junhui's presence next to him, or the way everyone treated each other with dignity and respect. 

every other second, minghao noticed how his eyes wandered off to the tall boy next to him, who seemed engulfed by all the happenings around the table. should i share a meatball with him? minghao hesitated, seeing he still had four left. it was the sweet gesture that mattered, right? and with junhui's usual optimism, he doubted he would receive any form of a harsh reaction. 

so carefully he pierced the piece of meat with his fork and placed it on junhui's plate, looking elsewhere as soon as junhui noticed it. he was so flustered, he barely even dared to look up and see what reaction it had caused on the elder. 

though with the mischievous chuckle that followed up next minghao knew all too well that junhui was only entertained. as usual. 

"say minghao, aren't you hungry?" they barely even noticed the silence that had dawned upon their company, too busy in their own little world to even acknowledge the things that happened around them. 

"i.. eh.. i wanted to share with you too." minghao mumbled, stuffing a fork full of spaghetti in his mouth so he was forced to remain silent. 

"so now i'm supposed to take you to italy as well?" junhui leaned with his elbow on the table, flashing minghao his characteristic charming smile as he tried everything to make eye contact with the boy. and once minghao finally found the courage to look up, junhui felt like he could accomplish anything. just as long as minghao kept staring back at him. 

"well.. you don't have to.. just eat your meatball before i take it back!" minghao huffed. just before he wanted to return his focus on his plate again, junhui's mesmerizing high pitched laughter made him want to maintain the direct eye contact. 

"you know, we can also share a spaghetti string if you would like to? i'll start at this side and you take the other outer side. what would you say about that?" the flirtatious comment together with the sly smirk plastered onto junhui's face caused minghao's blush to grow even a shade darker. 

"like lady and the tramp! o my god please continue, i loved that movie!" it was only then, with taemin interrupting their little moment, when junhui and minghao snapped out of their little moment. 

"just eat your meatball." minghao huffed as he turned his focus back on his plate, trying to shut out junhui's heart warming laughter. 

"i'm not sure if anyone told you this today yet, but that was the most adorable thing ever. thank you minghao, you'll get my meatball next time. or that spaghetti string, whatever you like." junhui whispered, inaudible for the other occupants around the table to hear, which minghao was glad of. 

minghao knew he couldn't deny the fact that it certainly brought him more happiness than he ever thought he would be able to feel.