五十一

two weeks later

junhui's condition had gone downhill on a way faster pace than the doctors had expected. most days at this point were spent in bed, in his trusted wooden bedroom. and if his body allowed him to, someone would help him down the staircase so he was able to spend his days in front of the crackling fireplace, watching endless disney marathons with minghao, or being entangled in mysterious tales of books. 

sleep was something he was barely still able to get, making sleepless nights occur more often than the nights where he was able to at least get about two or three hours of it. walking also didn't appear to come easy anymore, as his sense of feeling faded in a rather odd way. sometimes his limbs would simply be entirely numbs, while other days he felt as healthy as ever and was able to use his body like how he used to his whole life. 

not only that, his sudden attacks and blackouts happened on a daily basis by now. even when the doctors and other patients could hardly get used to it, something inside junhui was slowly taking over his body and worsening his condition with every minute that passed. 

today was one of those days where junhui woke up from a one hour nap, around about eight in the morning, and he was finally able to sit straight again without putting in too much effort. his sudden movement even managed to wake up minghao, who had sneaked into his room without the doctor's knowledge, again. doc had never mentioned it again after that one time where they had been caught, and the other doctors were simply too oblivious to even notice minghao's disappearance every night. 

once minghao noticed junhui sitting straight, he jolted awake at once. though he was far from a morning person, as long as it had something to do with junhui's condition he found it worth to wake up for. "you're feeling better i see?" minghao whispered, sitting straight as well to check if the dark eye bags under junhui's eyes hadn't grown worse. 

even with his cheekbones pointing out and his skin sinking in his skull on every possible place, junhui looked healthier than he'd done in the past two weeks. perhaps it was the stray of sunlight that peeked through the blinds and drew more color onto his face. or maybe it was just the trace of a smile junhui wore, telling minghao with just a glance that he felt quite healthy. 

"i want to do something today hao." junhui spoke, determination and purpose sparkling in his eyes again. though minghao had never doubted his undying optimism, the burning passion he carried along had been barely visible since the moment his condition went drastically down hill. while now flames seemed to spark again from both the tone of his voice and the look in his eyes. 

"you know you shouldn't burden your body any further, right?" minghao certainly didn't want to ruin junhui's good mood, yet he felt responsible to warn junhui for the possible consequences. through all his attacks and the deterioration of his health, minghao had been by his side. being aware of all the things he had seen through that process, minghao couldn't help but to feel worried when junhui got a spontaneous idea like that. 

"that can come later. man i haven't felt this good in days, we should go outside to see the sunset today? or take a small walk around the house, couldn't do any harm right?" junhui's smile only grew wider, radiating warmth and pure happiness. "god i'm starving, i hope doc has prepared breakfast!" 

it even surprised minghao that junhui felt hungry again, as he had barely eaten any food in the past days. and so he pushed away the feeling of calamity, knowing he really couldn't do anything beside trusting his boyfriend this time. "you know what, then let's do something today! it's been a while since we've been outside, hasn't it? and besides, the weather seems great as well." 

minghao got up from his bedside first, being left surprised when junhui had gotten out of bed before he could even reach his side. "i told you i'm feeling good today! let's go downstairs, shall we?" 

though before junhui had the chance to walk past him, minghao wrapped his arms around his torso out of a sudden and pressed his body up against junhui's. due to the little height difference, minghao had full access to the crook of junhui's neck, greedily burying his nose in his warm skin. 

"hey you, what's going on?" junhui asked in his usual gentle tone, securing minghao in his arms as well as he noticed that there was something off.

"i'm just happy to see you standing on your own again." minghao said, the rising lump in his throat being obviously audible. 

"then let's take advantage of that today, shall we?" junhui proposed, knowing that every day could be his last day standing like this with his growing sickness. "why not take the best out of it now we still can?"

minghao found it hard to comprehend the words junhui had just spoken. never had he made a comment like this before, where his nearing end had sounded so certain. as if it was already established that his death was near. 

though he shook it off, not wanting to believe such nonsense. junhui still had a long time ahead. it would be impossible to not find a cure for his disease in the end. right..?

"that sounds good." minghao breathed out, clamping onto junhui a little tighter, not wanting to let go of him. "do you think your legs are able to carry you all day?" 

"perhaps they will, who knows." junhui chuckled, pressing a gentle kiss against minghao's temple. "i actually think they might, for today. i really haven't felt like this in a while."

and minghao finally allowed himself to believe junhui, knowing that there was no other option but to wait and see what the day would bring them. though he was certain that something was off. especially since junhui's condition lit up all out of a sudden, while the day before he had been in bed the entire time as he wasn't able to move his limbs. it all went a little too good for his own liking. 

a silence before the storm, perhaps?