十二

dear moon - JeHwi 

it was far past midnight when wen junhui was seated on his windowsill, knees pulled up against his chest as his hands rested on his partly exposed ankles. his temple lay against the window while he stared up at the beautiful half shaped moon and the cloudless night sky decorated with a million stars.

the landscape was covered in a thin layer of fog, hanging low above the water of the lake and the meadows that spread out for infinite miles. it even reached up to the snowy tips of the mountains, that almost touched the stars. the scenery was mesmerizing to the boy, who yet again had no intention in going to sleep any time soon. 

sleep still didn't come as easy as how it used to and junhui guessed it was one of the symptoms of his disease. just like the fact that his body started losing strength at the most unwanted times of the day. for example, at lunch the day before his entire hand just stopped functioning for a bare second, which had scared the boy. 

he had never thought much of it since the start, but coming here had seemingly opened his eyes. especially as he hadn't heard a single thing of doctor kihyun from the hospital, who would send updates on a daily basis. 

a gentle knock on the door echoed through the silence of his room, announcing the presence of the only person that could be awake at this ungodly hour. and to his expectation, minghao quickly sneaked into his room and silently closed the door behind him. 

just like the night before, xu minghao had succeeded in giving junhui a nightly visit. 

"hey you." junhui chuckled confidently, pulling his legs a little closer towards himself to make a spot for minghao to sit. the window was wide enough to provide both of them space. minghao soon followed junhui's gesture and sat on the opposite side of him, purposely brushing his bare toes against junhui's. 

it was as if he tried to give junhui permission to come closer by intending physical touch. a beautiful signal in junhui's opinion, who just played along with the way he moved his feet against his. it gave both comfort and a sense of safety, yet also made them giggle. a gesture that would look childish to most, but seemed so wanted by both boys. 

"you're okay with me being here right?" minghao looked up at junhui, making direct eye contact without hesitation. unlike earlier that day, he seemed calm. his expression didn't even seem as emotionless as usual since a tiny smile tugged on his lips. 

even with majority of his face being covered with the long black strands of hair, his expression was enough to tell junhui he felt more than comfortable. and even though junhui wished to come closer, to wrap him inside his arms and secure him from all harm in the world, he knew he couldn't yet. 

"how could i not be okay with that?" junhui chuckled, his smile growing even wider once he heard minghao giggling. it made junhui wonder how a laugh could sound so angelic yet contagious at the same time. or how it made him think that he had never focused on someone's laugh before. or ones facial features. at least not like the way he observed all details engraved in minghao's face. 

"can i ask you something?" minghao asked carefully, continuing once junhui hummed in response. "what are you in here for?" 

junhui let out a content hum as he leaned his head back against the window, staring at the moon that guarded over them. "i wish i knew." he sighed. "the doctors stated me with something rare that hasn't exactly been discovered yet. apparently they're busy studying my test results at the laboratory and in the hospital itself. but i have no idea what it is and in what condition my body is right now."

"they said i couldn't go out freely in society since there is a possibility it could worsen my current state. so that's why they sent me here, i didn't want my optimism to get ruined inside the hospital. with all honesty, i have absolutely no clue what's happening to me." 

junhui threw a quick glance back at minghao, who had been staring at him the entire time. "and.. you aren't in any pain?" junhui shook his head, deciding to focus his eyes on minghao.

"i think i noticed a first symptom the other day. i couldn't move any muscle in my hand at lunch for a brief second, which never exactly has happened before." yet still, how saddening it sounded, it wasn't able to beat the smile off his face. 

especially not now minghao sat in front of him. 

"i wish i could protect you too somehow.." minghao mumbled, his volume barely audible for junhui to hear. yet of course, in the silence of the night he wouldn't miss a single word minghao spoke. 

"there's no need to protect me minghao, i'm already glad to have you here." junhui instinctively reached his hand out, resting his elbow on his knees. minghao caught onto his out-stretched hand soon enough and mirrored his movement. 

the way their fingers interlaced themselves went so natural. it was as if minghao's soft slender hands were made for junhui's slightly larger ones. they fit perfectly together and it felt so warm. junhui even noticed the slight blush that painted minghao's cheeks, combined with the small smile tugging on his lips. 

oh how junhui adored the boy in front of him. 

"but you also protected me." minghao spoke in a bare whisper, visibly too shy to look junhui directly in the eyes. instead of looking outside over the breathtaking mystical landscape he kept staring at their intertwined fingers. 

"and i still do." junhui stated, gently squeezing minghao's hand in confirmation. "and i will keep doing so."

two boys with their own separate diseases felt so close to one another, even if it was just for a moment. no more words were needed as they leaned back against the wall while  staring up at the starry night sky, their fingers still locked together with no intention of letting go soon. and for the first time since they entered the lake house, both boys felt at home.