五十九

white

never in his life had junhui seen a room this white nor had he been a resident of one. now here he was, his body numbed and his eyes half lidded, staring up at the eternal white ceiling of his very own hospital room, his mind clouded with a million of thoughts that all led up to one thing.

xu minghao. 

it had only been a few hours since his departure and night started dawning upon the bustling city right outside his window of the fifth floor. a blanket of darkness huddled their side of the planet, yet still it wasn't able to shut out the whiteness that surrounded junhui. it seemed blinding, far from comforting and painful to keep staring at. yet there was nothing else junhui could focus on in his empty room. 

unlike the brown wooden walls and interior that had surrounded him in the lake house, this room held an emptiness that felt heavy to his heart. there were no muffled voices from a floor beneath him, nor the warm presence of a raven boy beside him in his bed. there was no friendly doc to tell him his everlasting tales about his travels around the globe. not even the little magnet he had left to minghao was anywhere near to give him comfort. 

he only had a few photo's of his love left inside his phone, which wasn't of any use as he couldn't move his limbs any longer to reach for the small device and unlock it. and even if he'd ask a doctor or nurse about it, he doubted they would understand the value behind the photo's and the memories he kept with him. 

it was a loss he could barely put to words. as if his undying sense of optimism had entirely died when he left minghao behind. he finally seemed to understand that minghao had been the one he held onto this whole time, who had kept him alive and gave him motivation to keep going. 

and now junhui lay here, in a cold hospital bed, tubes everywhere inside-out his body, realization dawned upon him that he saw no more purpose any longer. if he couldn't even keep himself alive when he was still surrounded by the boy he loved, then why would he now?

was this even supposed to be the slightest like dying in peace? because junhui certainly felt different. 

the clock was nearing ten pm when the door of his room violently swung open, revealing the presence of three boys junhui was expecting the slightest. it were mingyu, chan and hansol, all three panting and hurrying inside, quickly closing the door behind them. 

"god, i really hope the receptionist hasn't followed us upstairs." chan gasped for oxygen, trying to hide his frightful expression.

"i think we lost her when we got on the elevator." mingyu reassured the youngest, finally allowing the three of them to put their focus and attention on the patient laying in his hospital bed. "god.. you look even worse than what we were told." 

"i'm happy to see you too, outgrown tree stump." junhui managed to force out a chuckle, a warm feeling spreading through his chest. "what are you doing here? how on earth have you even found me in this place? visitors aren't allowed inside at this hour." 

"we know.." hansol chuckled, pushing chan forwards to explain as he seemingly had more knowledge about the situation than the other two. 

"well you see." chan started, scratching the back on his freshly blonde dyed hair. "doc called me as soon as the ambulance left the lake house and informed me about what was about to happen next. he might have also.. coincidentally.. shared your room number and the way through the hospital to get to you unseen." 

"you guys are crazy." junhui finally willingly laughed again, drawing a smile upon the faces of his three best friends. the room suddenly didn't seem as empty anymore and for a mere second he was able to let go of the home-like lake house he left behind. 

"learned it from the best." hansol purposely said that, wanting to let junhui know that he spoke about him. "i can't believe they placed you here.. you were at the perfect location back there in that valley."

"well, at least i'm closer to you guys now." junhui refound his sense of positivity within the unexpected presence of his friends. especially once they all gathered around his hospital bed, knowing that he wasn't quite capable of moving his body any longer, so they were all in his eyesight. 

however, junhui found it hard to see the looks on their faces. they were all struggling to hold back their tears, especially chan seemed to find it difficult. and junhui hated that it was all because of his unfortunate sickness that had diseased him without giving him an equal chance to do anything about it. and look where they were now..

"i hate to ask you this, junhui. i really do." hansol started, killing the once so bright atmosphere. "just incase one of the nurses find out about us and we have to leave again... but what will happen to you now?"

junhui had seen the question coming. though if he had to be honest, he was left clueless. "i have no idea.. they say it can be a matter of days, but it can also be over in about an hour as well. this shitty life support that's connected to my body doesn't guarantee me any certainty at all."

it was the exact opposite of what his friends wanted to hear. somehow, they wished to hear an answer more clear. perhaps it was to prepare for what was about to come, which they couldn't exclude at this point any longer. 

"we'll visit you every day until-" chan instantly cut off his sentence once he realized that it wouldn't end any way good. and as if on cue, a nurse hurried inside the room, being followed by an angry looking male doctor. 

"that's them! the intruders who asked to visit patient wen!" she pointed at junhui's friends whose eyes widened. 

"gotta go! we'll be back in the morning!" mingyu ran up to the doctors, apologizing for their deeds and obediently following them outside the room.

junhui's hospital room no longer seemed as empty as how it had felt since his arrival. it was as if their unexpected visit had left traces that warmed up the atmosphere, that would keep lingering there for at least another few hours. enough for when junhui couldn't sleep, and he had no other choice but to stare up at his empty ceiling.