五十六

another week had passed. 

a week filled with grieve and sorrow, as junhui's condition had hit rock bottom. he was barely still able to tighten the slightest muscle, let alone to fulfill a simple task like raising his arm. dorothy had a hard time keeping her temper towards doc, who had smoked one cigarette after the other, worrying about junhui's fate. he couldn't help but to feel horrible that he couldn't do or change anything about it. 

the tuesday morning was considered as among the most wonderful days that late summer, a clear blue sky reaching as far as the eye could see and the sun shining upon the abandoned valley, making it look lively and even more magical than it already did. yet to junhui, it would be his worst day yet. 

which was announced by a knock on his door. "come in." junhui's voice came out as groggy, not able to lift his head and see who entered his room. the nearing footsteps, which were quite heavy, gave away that it was doc who had payed him a visit in the late morning. 

the bed beneath him sunk in a little when doc sat down on the edge, knowing that helping the patient by propping his head up against the headboard wouldn't be of any use, as it would only bring him physical pain. "hey junhui, i have something i must tell you about."

doc's voice sounded worse than ever before. junhui hardly even recognized the serious tone his voice held as doc was quite well known for his lively personality. it had undeniably something to do with kihyun's visit from last week, as doc wasn't one to sound like this all out of a sudden. 

and so junhui let out a weak hum, allowing doc to continue whatever he was about to say. junhui understood now why roger had called minghao down just about five minutes ago, being glad the doctors took his request serious, that he preferred for him to hear things before minghao would. 

of course, as his boyfriend, minghao deserved and had all the right to hear about junhui's condition and current state. however, junhui still didn't want to hurt him.

"i just made a call to doctor kihyun.." it was just a small sentence, though junhui understood instantly what doc was trying to say.

"took you long." junhui joked, his words being followed by a cynical chuckle. 

"i know." doc forced out a laugh as well, staring up at the ceiling as he swallowed away the rising lump in his throat. "i'm sorry junhui, it's impossible for us to keep you here. your body in its current state is something we're not even allowed to keep. believe me when i say i wish we could." 

the position junhui lay in allowed him to perfectly gaze through his bedroom window, eyeing the snowy tips of the mountains and the clear blue sky in the distance. "i wish i could too." junhui sighed out, mesmerized by the sight, taking everything in now he was aware that it would be his last time. 

"i'm sorry, we have done all we could." doc sighed as well, staring down upon the sick patient with his heart clenching inside his chest, knowing that it would only last a few more days in the hospital before he would receive a final message from kihyun. "i informed kihyun about it and he sent someone down here. we're expecting him to arrive in about an hour. i'll make sure to pack all your belongings and inform minghao about it."

junhui managed to move his head the slightest, nodding upon doc's words and comprehending all the information he had been given. it was hard to believe that after everything he'd been through, he would now go into the process of his last few days, which were about to be spent inside an eternal white hospital room. 

where no mountains or forest surrounded him, but where he would look upon buildings and the bustling city life. no more warm fireplaces, maroon couches and interiors made out of wood. no more long walked alongside lakes and dances through the evergreen fields.

but mostly, no more minghao. 

because after his last hour he got to spend here, he wouldn't see the boy ever again, as he was bound to stay here. after he'd depart, minghao would stay with the grieve junhui had left behind. and beside him already missing the lake house, he would never forgive himself for what he'd done to minghao. 

"can you please tell minghao about it yourself? i don't want him to hear it from anyone else beside you, doc." junhui had difficulties with forming the entire sentence, yet felt determined to say it out loud for minghao's own sake. 

"of course i will." doc answered, wanting to do everything to make junhui's last hour here the best he was able to give him. "shall i go downstairs right away to tell him? i think you two might need a little time to say goodbye." 

it was strange to think that their final goodbye was only a mere hour away. it was most likely that they would never see each other again after that. and so junhui succeeded in nodding again, giving doc the confirmation to get going and to bring minghao the unfortunate news.

though they had both seen it coming, junhui doubted it wouldn't come as a shock to the boy. 

"please." he pleaded, wanting to make every second count. 

and so without sayin more, doc got up from the bed and slumped to the door, ready to break minghao's heart with the news he was about to bring him.