五十三

it was only a few days after junhui had been dancing through the humungous field with minghao when doctor kihyun was paying a visit to the lake house again, to run check up on junhui's current state. to say it had grown worse was an understatement, comparing to how he was feeling now. the nurses hadn't even been able to help him off the stairs to have him sit in front of the fireplace since that afternoon where he had felt more alive than ever. his day filled with joy and dancing had only been a momental surge.

he had simply spend his days in bed, occasionally suffering from strokes of pain with a lifeless expression painted on his face. the only thing that brought the slightest trace of liveliness in his expression was minghao's presence. the only moments where he was able to hide his pain somehow as he found it hard to burden the boy with it. even in his current state he prioritized minghao's mental state as it was the only thing that kept him going.

"oh junhui.." doctor kihyun sighed, taking of his specs to rub his eyes. sorrow was painted all over his face and his hair looked like he hadn't gotten sleep in at least a week. "we have been doing everything we could, but unfortunately we still haven't found a cure.."

junhui sat with his back straight against the headboard, staring in the depth of nothing as he took in kihyun's words. he took no effort in speaking out a reply and just let the information sink in in full silence.

"therefore it's most likely that we have to take you back to the hospital." the doctor finally made a statement that brought some sense of defiance back to junhui, as the boy's head shot up on an instant.

"for what, huh? to spend my last days in some boring white room?" junhui harshly spat out, not caring about his usual sense of positivity that was now nowhere near.

"listen junhui, we have to keep an eye on you. i don't think you're seeing the matter of thi-"

"so you're telling me about the matter of things now?" junhui interrupted him, letting out a cynical chuckle. "the fucking matter of things. i'm not sure if you're able to see my current state right now, but i think i'm well educated on the matter of things."

kihyun remained calm, trying to figure out a solution that was best for both junhui and his condition. "what is it that i have to do in the hospital? are there suddenly more tests i have to go through, or what?"

"we've ran all existing tests as far as i know.. i don't think there lays any purpose for you in the hospital." doctor kihyun sighed.

"exactly. if i'm going to die anyhow then please just let me stay here." perhaps it was minghao that woke up this sudden sense of anger, as he knew that he couldn't just abandon the boy. it would only cause more troubles.

"well it's still not entirely sure you're going to.. you know.." "you're allowed to say 'die', i'm aware of it by now." kihyun knew at this point that hiding things from junhui was no option. "what i'm trying to say is that it isn't sure yet, perhaps it's just something you're body is going through."

though kihyun's explanation seemed vague and highly unlike, junhui knew perfectly well that he tried everything to find an excuse to somehow get junhui to the hospital.

"then let my body do its work." junhui stated, refusing to cooperate. "i won't be going to the hospital if that only means i will be locked up in some boring white room. it will only cause a sooner death than when i'm here. i really don't think you seem to understand that this place and minghao are the only things why i'm still here."

"minghao?" kihyun questioned, not having heard this particular name before.

"minghao is another patient here. we fell in love through our stay and he's my boyfriend now. he's the reason why i keep going every day." junhui spoke determined, at this point simply giving everything just to convince kihyun to let him extend his stay. 

"i really don't want to go."

kihyun let out a long drawn-out sigh, knowing that the hospital certainly wasn't a place for a boy like junhui. if it wasn't for his disease, it would only fasten the process to his possible death. if he truly wanted to avoid that and wanted to give the boy an unforgettable last few days, he'd let him stay in the lake house under doctor park's guidance. and based on that he made the final decision. 

"you know what, you're right junhui." doctor kihyun suddenly seemed a lot more friendly, coming to terms with his beloved patient. "taking you to the hospital would be a lost case. since we're not allowed to run more tests on you it would be of no help to your mental health. and i think staying happy here with your boyfriend is a crucial factor to keep going."

kihyun had to be careful to not speak about junhui's unfortunate fate, and about the fact that staying in the lake house would most likely delay what was almost bound to happen. the smile that displayed on junhui's face after a sense of relieve washed over him answered enough of kihyun's questions. 

"but, there's one thing i can't ignore. as you've been noticing yourself, your condition has gone backwards quite a lot and it will probably grow even worse.. we, doctors, will give it a few more days of research and once we get a sign from doc, we're forced to pick you up." kihyun decided it would be best to not mention that if they weren't able to find a cure, junhui would also not be able to live another day. it wasn't any of his concern yet. 

for now he deserved to spend time with his boyfriend and live his life to the fullest. for as long as he was still capable of.