十三

an orange hue painted the snowy tips of the mountains and the mystical green meadows. the thin fog that once hung low above the water had now entirely vanished as the temperature went up at a slow rate. the weather in the valley wasn't exactly what you would expect from a typical summer, yet its sunrises were breathtaking. with those golden skies and creamy white clouds that stretched over the horizon. 

junhui had been awake for the past fifteen minutes and hadn't taken the effort to get dressed properly, staring over the magical landscape from his bedroom window. minghao had returned to his own room a little past three am. but even when he barely had gotten any sleep, junhui woke at exactly eight am. 

after a lot of hesitation the boy got himself up from the window sill, walking over to his bedroom door with only one person on his mind. xu minghao. who was most likely still asleep this early. yet that was soon to be changed as a grinning junhui sprinted to the bedroom door beside his.

without knocking he sneaked in the way minghao had done the nights before, closing the door behind him in case the doctors planned on disturbing their moment. if they kept their volume reasonably low they wouldn't get caught. 

"rise and shine minghao!" without a warning junhui threw the curtains aside, allowing a stroke of orange sunlight to fall on the sleeping minghao as his bed was located right underneath the window. 

an annoyed groan left his throat, the boy curling up to a ball as he hid his face all the way underneath the blanket. "just five more minutes.." he murmured, barely audible for junhui to hear. 

yet junhui wasn't one to give up easily. so without thinking too much of it he sat on the side of minghao's bed, carefully reaching for minghao's shoulder that was still entirely covered by the duvets. 

however, once his hand touched the boy he flinched visibly and woke up on an instant. minghao's panicked eyes peeked from underneath the blanket, his gaze softening once he saw who it was waking him up. junhui noticed the change in expression and instantly removed his hand. though he decided not to get further into it, not wanting to make things awkward or even difficult for minghao. 

"are you coming with me?" junhui flashed his characteristic charming smile, confidently leaning back on his arms a little. 

"why the fuck should i come with you? it's way too early to wake up, get off my bed." junhui laughed about how comfortable minghao had gotten out of a sudden. he really had a personality worth treasuring. 

"because i'm going to make breakfast." junhui simply continued, eyeing how minghao rolled back in his former position on his side, covering the side of his face by yanking back his blanket. 

"good for you."he huffed, trying to mute junhui's voice by pressing the fabric against his ear. 

junhui could sense that the boy visibly wasn't a morning person, yet still he wasn't giving up. "minghao i'm not leaving this room until you join me for breakfast." 

"i can't." the tone of sarcasm and joy in his voice had partly died down, making worry rise up in junhui's chest since he wasn't able to see the expression on his face either. so carefully he reached up for the blanket as minghao willingly let junhui slide it off. 

"you live here, why shouldn't you be allowed to eat breakfast like any other normal person in here?" even when junhui could easily guess minghao's answer, there were still no rules about patients not being allowed to eat meals downstairs. 

"the doctors don't allow me downstairs because apparently i'm not socially compatible with the other patients." minghao sighed, slipping the blankets off as he sat straight, bending a little forward to rest his cheek against his knees. 

"they can't force you to stay inside your room all day, they didn't brought you here without a purpose." junhui tried to convince the boy in front of him as he caught himself studying his outstanding features again. his jet black bed-hair pointing out in several directions, and his hazel orbs hidden away behind it. junhui even noticed his long lashes and its tips that curled up a little, just like the way his amaranth lips puffed up underneath his roundish nose. 

"they usually just bring a tray upstairs so they can get started with my daily sessions." minghao murmured. 

"in that case i'm taking you downstairs with me today." junhui stated, not even giving minghao a chance to confirm his offer. whose eyes spoke that he clearly disagreed with what junhui just said. 

"i'm still not allowed downstairs. besides, it'll only cause a situation again." minghao had already made his decision before junhui was able to say the next. yet still, minghao's disagreement wasn't enough to make junhui stop trying. 

"well you are now." junhui said, defiance sparking in his eyes as he grabbed minghao's wrist and pulled him off the bed along with him. "besides, i can't exactly take you out for breakfast in a place like this, can i? so please eat together with me downstairs."

even when minghao tried to remain his grumpy expression, he wasn't able to restrain a blush from spreading across his cheeks. it only took simple sentences or gestures like this to get minghao into one soft puddle. and junhui couldn't do anything more but to enjoy the reaction he caused every time again. 

"that's a yes, i suppose?" junhui chuckled once he only received a huff in response, not wanting to let go of the boy any time soon. "then that's set."

"would you actually take me out for breakfast?" minghao's voice was back to its soft and vulnerable self, no traces of his previous sulky behavior to be found. and to confirm the promise junhui was about to make, the elder turned around while flashing the most genuine smile he was capable of. 

"of course! once we get out of here i'll take you out to the best breakfast cafe down town!" 

if junhui only knew that it was a promise he wouldn't be able to keep..